Monday, May 3, 2010

Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Right now we have spring break. My husband also took the week off! So in between the rain spells we have alot of things planned:)
  
When I moved to The Netherlands, I noticed they didn't have gravy here. They have packets of cheese sauce and various other sauces, but not gravy. For the most part I can always go without gravy on something and I've now learned how to make it myself...Like this recipe. I found it in my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. What I love about this gravy is that it's very subtle and can be used on many things. I want to try it on biscuits and when I make this again, I plan to add in sauteed mushrooms to make it a little more special.

Fried Chicken and Cream Sauce
2-1/2 lbs. Chicken pieces or 4-6 Boneless Chicken Breasts
1/4 cup flour or 1/2 cup Dry Bread Crumbs
1 tsp. of Seasoning of choice; Paprika,Basil,Italian Seasonings,curry powder,etc
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
Oil

Cream Gravy
2 TBL Pan Drippings
2 TBL Flour
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Chicken Bouillon Granules
1-2/3 cup Milk

Rinse chicken, pat dry. In a plastic bag combine the flour or crumbs,herb,salt, and pepper. Add chicken pieces or breasts, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
 In a 12 inch skillet heat some oil. Add chicken to the skillet,placing meaty pieces towards center. Cook,uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Cook for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5-10 minutes longer or till chicken is tender and no longer pink. Drain on paper towels,reserving drippings for gravy. Transfer chicken to serving platter and keep warm.

Pour off drippings in skillet,reserving 2 tablespoons. Return drippings to pan and add in the flour,pepper, and bouillon granules, stirring until smooth. Add in all the milk at once. Cook over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one 1 more minute. Serve on or next to chicken. I went ahead and used a whisk since my flour and drippings never really smoothed out for me.