Monday, April 5, 2010

Red Lobster's Chicken Tenders w/ Honey Mustard Sauce

Recently I purchased a book called America's Most Wanted Recipes from bol.com. That is an online bookstore here in The Netherlands. They have a whole section on english books and it's there that I am able to slowly build my love for cookbooks back up. I can go through amazon but bol.com although more expensive works better for me and I am able to get the books quickly wich I love! This addition of the book had favorite restaurants. I really loved this cookbook! Alot of the recipes come from restaurants that I had never been to or never ate when I was at that resturant. Now I am able to sample a wide range of yummie recipes!

The first meal I made was Red Lobster's Chicken Tenders and I served it with Bennigan's Honey Mustard Sauce. Wow were these a big hit with us! The chicken is marinated all day in a buttermilk mixture and the tenders are well..tender. I love what buttermilk does to chicken. It softens it up but leaves it very moist when cooking it. I was a bit worried about the cayenne pepper but it added a nice touch of heat without going overboard. The cumin also added a wonderful flavor and I can see that I need to cook with it more. The honey mustard sauce has a serious kick to it but thats because of the dijon mustard to it. Im not a big mustard fan so I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this. I'm happy to say that it was excellent and went really well with the chicken tenders.

On a side note I have no clue what alot of these recipes taste like from the restaurants, so if you come to me and tell me you ate there and it doesn't compare..thats how it goes sometimes. When you make something at home you will of course change alot of the taste due to the fact that you aren't using the exact restaurant recipe or the ingredients.

I have a whole page of recipes to try so get ready. I have things coming up like Dairy Queen vanilla ice cream,Taco Bell Pizza, Baskin-Robbins Cheesecake ice cream and soooo much more!

Red Lobster's Fried Chicken Tenders..Serves 4-6
Marinade
6 cloves Garlic; Smashed and chopped up
2 cups Buttermilk
1-1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
4-6 Boneless,skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips

Coating
1-1/2 cups Flour
1- 3/4 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Oil for either deep frying or like me, frying in a large pan.

To marinate the chicken place all marinated ingredients except for the chicken in a bowl and whisk to combine. Place chicken either in a bowl or baking dish and pour marinade over the top; Make sure all chicken is covered. Cover and refrigerate overnight,turning occasionaly. I went ahead and started marinating it in the early morning and let it sit all day long..about 10 hours.

Place a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Remove chicken from marinade and set on rack: Discard marinade. Drain for 10 minutes.
To coat the chicken mix all coating ingredients together in a bowl. Toss the chicken in batches into the flour mixture,turning to coat; shake off excess.Toss each piece again into the flour mixture and shake off excess. Place chicken back onto rack and allow to sit for 15 minutes and up to 45. I went ahead and placed the rack in the fridge during this time.
If deep frying heat the oil up to 375 or 190 celcius. Cook chicken in batches until done; about 10 minutes. Place chicken on cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
  I do not deep fry anything so I placed oil in a frying pan and cooked the chicken until it was done. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
Bennigan's Honey Mustard Sauce..1 overflowing cup
3/4 cup Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1/3 cup Dijon Mustard
1/3 cup Honey
1 TBL. Lemon Juice
In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream,mayo, and mustard. Mix well using a whisk. Slowly pour in honey and lemon juice; continue mixing until smooth. Serve right away or store in fridge. Can you be used a dip or as a salad dressing.                                                                   

21 comments:

Frau said...

Sounds delish! I'm so sick of all the meals I make. So boring and limited on what I can and can't find. Definitely adding to my recipe file.Have a wonderful Monday.

Sonya said...

Frau it is hard sometimes to find the ingredients we are used to here and what they are called..Hope you get a chance to make this..it was wonderful.

Have a fantastic week!

Lizzy said...

Hehe, I don't even eat chicken and that made my mouth water lol. I love honey mustard!

Candee said...

Next time u must warn me in advance to when u are making stuff like this so I can just happen to show up around supper time ;-)
That looks sooo good! but of course I can just go to red Lobsters in a few weeks ;-P

Life with Kaishon said...

I love what buttermilk does to chicken too. It is my favorite. I think it is so perfectly delicious. I could eat it all day : )

Sonya said...

There you go again Candee..totally rubbing it in that you are getting out of here for awhile..lol

Shelle said...

o i am so making these...but i could never leave them out either....the dog would scoff them down. it's probably better that you have never tried them...i make my mil's recipes and dh says it tastes nothing like it...he's always complaining....but to him if i even cut the onion the 'wrong' way it won't taste good lol.

lytha said...

omgosh that looks so awesome. i wonder if i dare try to make it!?

wait til you see my american restaurant in germany review coming up......

~lytha

Sonya said...

Lytha give the recipe a try, it's great and I cant wait to read your review!

Aunt LoLo said...

Oooh...you are making me SO hungry!!

(Thanks for stopping by Bubba Bubbles!!)

Abby said...

Chicken tenders and honey mustard? My husband and son will thank you! This is right up their alley. Looks great!

Kathleen said...

This looks so great! I can't wait to try both recipes!

Coleen's Recipes said...

I love copycat recipes!! This sounds excellent. I've never been to a Red Lobster, but the recipe ingredients look perfect.

Diana's Cocina said...

Sounds perfect!

oranjeflamingo said...

Cumin is one of my favorite spices. I use it constantly! Chicken fingers is also one of my guilty-pleasure comfort foods. This might be on the menu tomorrow!

Hanaâ said...

I've never had those at Red Lobster (I always order Seafood there :o)). I like your version, and I agree that a buttermilk soak does wonders for chicken. I also wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blogging and saying Hi. It's funny that you're from here (US) living in the NL, and it's the exact opposite for me :o)

MissNeriss said...

Looks yummo!

Only slightly on topic, have you ever used the http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ website? I don't know for sure if they're cheaper than bol.com, but they have free delivery and you can use paypal. Thank goodness for paypal.

I've only just found your blog and it looks fabulous - I'm off to see what else I can munch on this weekend...

Sonya said...

Thanks for the tip on that website! I will have to check it out:)

Katy ~ said...

Sounds like a winner dinner to me whether it's the real Red Lobster recipe or not. Love it!

Laura K. said...

ok so what is Cayenne and Cumin in Dutch?

Sonya said...

Laura Cayenne pepper is the same I believe and Cumin is komijn. I can buy that at AH in a small resealable bag form.