Friday, April 30, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread

Today is a national holiday here in The Netherlands. It's Queen's Day. Being an American it's still hard to get used to the idea of the whole royalty thing. It's something you almost need to grow up with or really be into something like that already. It's a day that celebrates the queen's birthday and is in general a day of national unity and "togetherness". They have parties,open air markets, and everyone who has a flag puts it out. We haven't gotten a flag yet but I asked if we could at some point. I was hoping to have both the american and the dutch flag out together at some point..but thats neither a safe nor smart idea for me to do so. So instead I shall fly the Dutch flag with pride:) So Happy Queen's Day!!
  
I made shortbread for the first time and I'm not sure I did it right. I've never eaten it myself but I have seen pictures of shortbread and mine doesn't look right. The flavor was spot on but is it supposed to be really delicate and semi crumbly? The amount of butter does give the impression of a more delicate flakey type dessert but I still think I did something wrong. It could be the recipe I used..maybe someone out there who makes it alot can either point me in the direction of another recipe to use or tell me what I could of done differently?. The recipe called for me to divide the dough into 4 equal portions. When I did this it came out small and flat. When I made the last batch, I combined the two together and then got more of a thicker circle but then because of that, it didn't bake all the way through. I want to try again because the lemon poppyseed combo was really great in this recipe but I guess I need some advice:)
  Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread
3/4 cup Butter; Softened
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1 TBL Poppyseeds
1-2 TBL Lemon Juice(I used 2)
1 tsp. Lemon Extract
1-1/2 cups Flour
2 tsp. Sugar
 Pre heat oven to 325 or 170. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and powder sugar. Stir in poppyseeds,lemon juice, and extract. Gradually add flour; Mix well. Divide dough into 4 portions.

On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 4 inch circle. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet. Cut each circle into 6 wedges,but do not sperate. Prick dough with a fork and then sprinkle with sugar
 Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Cool for 4 mins before removing to wire racks. Break into wedges when cool.