Thursday, April 15, 2010

Leaving Neverland & A Brownie Recipe

My husband was gone for 3 days this week. It was the first time I have been all alone since we moved here. I'd like to tell you that I rose to the occasion, but that would be a lie. I had a full on panick attack before he left. Since moving here my weenie level has gotten out of control. It's the whole living in another country,not fulling getting it deal that I take on from time to time. I wasn't totally alone because I did have my boys...and this part,Leaving Neverland is about my oldest son.

Do you know the exact moment you crossed over from wanting to stay young forever and in a sense living in neverland? The never wanting to grow old and always having fun. Im not sure when it happend for me, but I witnessed the transition in my son. I needed something to be taken care of and I wondered how I was going to get it done. As my son walked out the door, he stopped,turned, and looked at me. He said "Mom,you write down everything you need, and when I get home from school, I will go and pick everything up for you. I'll take care of it all and you don't need to worry". I looked at him and I saw it..I saw that change happen right before my eyes. I just looked at him. My almost 12 year old boy has made the switch over. The look in his eyes and the tone of his voice told me he knew I was worried and he took over. Everyday he changes and it amazes me. So whats a Mom to do? Bake brownies for her son..because you are never to old for a brownie:)
   I've officially met my match with these brownies. I could only eat one because of how rich they were. I've decided that no matter how hard I try, Im just not a brownie person. My whole mouth broke out from the rich chocolate. Thats not to say these weren't good! I tried a ganache icing for the first time and I think that it was tipped it over for me.  My husband who came home today and my two sons loved it..So it's just me with the brownie issue. I'm more of a plain eater. I love chocolate, but not alot of it. I love cookies but always chose the chocolate ones last. Maybe I'm just a milk chocolate fan more. I think brownie lovers will really like this though. It was fudgy,a little bit chewy,and very very rich. The recipe comes from Joy of Baking.

Chocolate Brownies..16 pieces
4 ounces(120grams) Unsweetened Chocolate; Chopped up
1/2 cup(113grams) Unsalted Butter; Cut into pieces
1 cup (200grams) White Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Large Eggs
3/4 cup (95grams) Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt

Chocolate Ganache
1/2 cup Semisweet Chocolate
1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 TBL Butter

Pre heat oven to 325 or 165C and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter or non stick spray an 8x8 inch square pan and set aside.
Melt the chocolate and the butter in a large stainless steel bowl placed over saucepan of simmer water.
                                 
  Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Next, whisk in the vanilla and eggs,one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour and salt. Pour into prepared pan.
 Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool on wire rack.

To make the frosting place whipping cream and butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil. Take off the heat and add the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk or spoon until smooth. Let cool to room temp and then pur onto brownies. Can be stored in the fridge. Cut into 16 pieces.
                                 
       P.S. If you have a sec,could you please vote for Sonya's Spring Tulips ..thank you:) the contest ends saturday.