Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dairy Queen Ice Cream; Copykat Recipe


Did you know that if you use unflavored gelatin when making ice cream that it turns out amazing? Next up in my copykat recipes I decided to tackle Dairy Queen Ice Cream. This recipe comes from the book I just bought called America's Most Wanted Recipes:Favorite Restaurants. I already made Red Lobster's Fried Chicken Tenders wich can be found Here.

This is a super simple straight forward recipe wich includes unflavored gelatin. I was really worried about using it because I didn't want to find little jello type chunks in the ice cream and when I took the mixture out of the fridge it looked just like a white blob of jello! However all my worries vanished when I watched the ice cream maker turn it into a white fluffy cloud of creamy goodness.
The unflavored gelatin turns this into a creamy yet sort of firm ice cream..not like the soft serve you can purchase. I'm happy to say it did remind us of ice cream from either Dairy Queen or McDonalds. It's doesn't turn soupy on you like regular ice cream does when it starts to melt and it's perfect for stacking on top of an ice cream cone because of how well it holds together. You can serve this right away but I actually found it to be better tasteing, and more true to the Dairy Queen flavor when allowing it to sit in the freezer overnight. The recipe says it serves 2 but unless you want a giant bowl of it I would say it would serve 4-6 depending on the portion size.

Dairy Queen Vanilla Ice Cream
1 Envelope Unflavored Gelatin
1/4 cup Cold Water
1 cup Milk
I cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Heavy Cream

Place cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. I went ahead and mixed the gelatin up a bit because I was worried it wouldn't mix in with the water properly.

Heat the milk up in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches almost a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar,vanilla, and salt. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved; About 2 minutes. Stir in the gelatin mixture and let cool.

Stir in the cream. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours.

Transfer to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions for 20 minutes or until creamy. Serve right away or place in a covered container and transfer to the freezer.                                              Food Holiday Link Party