Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brown Butter and Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies

I looooove walnuts in chocolate chip cookies..I love all types of nuts actually, but walnuts are my favorites in cookies. I went hunting around looking for what I hoped would be a great new cookie recipe. I think I have found it..although I question the directions as a whole.
 The recipe includes brown butter..wich is achieved by cooking it over the stove until it takes on a nice tannish type color. I then added the chopped walnuts wich infused the butter with a nice walnut scent. The cookie did have a really nice buttery walnut flavor..but I'm wondering if it would of been just the same if I had just used softened butter instead of browned butter. I ask myself this because it reminded me of just a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe with walnuts added. I do like them so in the end it doesn't really matter what I had to do to achieve the great taste. I also allowed my butter to get to dark wich you shouldnt do..It still tasted fine but make sure you stay within the tannish color and not the dark brown:D

Brown Butter and Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
2-1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup Butter
1 cup Finely Chopped Walnuts
1 cup Light Brown Sugar; Packed
1/3 cup White Sugar
2 Large Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a bowl combine the flour,baking soda, and salt; Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, cook butter over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begons to brown..about 4-5 minutes. Add the walnuts and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes, or until the foam is lightly browned.
    The mixture will be foamy and have a tannish color. Remove from heat. Using a mesh strainer,drain butter into a large mixing bowl. Set walnuts aside.
 When butter has cooled to room temp, add the sugars and beat until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla until light and creamy. Slowly beat in flour mixture until combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoons by using an ice cream scoop or with your hands and place onto cookie sheet. Press down lightly either with your fingers or a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes,until lightly browned around the edges but still likght in the centers. Cool slightly before removing to wire rack. If you like your cookies with more of a crunch just wait until the cookie is lightly browned all over. It will still be crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Makes 4-5 dozen.