Thursday, April 29, 2010

Amazing Salisbury Steak

The first time I had salisbury steak it came from a Swanson TV Dinner...it's the only kind I had for the longest time. Then I made a version of it myself using a packet of onion soup mix and a beef gravy mix..If you Wiki it,it just says a mixture of ground beef and other ingredients served with a brown sauce..How not appealing is that! So for the longest time I just didn't make it. That all changed when I stumbled upon a recipe from Taste and Tell.

This is how it should taste. Oh my goodness the sauce alone is worthy of taking a bath in. It's the first time I have ever cooked with red wine. I am not a fan of wine of any kind so cooking with it never appealed to me much. However I am a total convert! The sauce is the real winner in this recipe. The meat is really great aswell with the chopped up green pepper,onion, and other spices..but the sauce..wow is it good. The recipe calls for Chili Sauce..I went ahead and used sweet chili sauce since thats what I had in the house. We loved it. It has a bit of a spicy kick to it and everything comes together so perfectly..and if thats not enough praise..I got caught running my finger all over the plate to catch every last drop. My husband asked if I wanted his plate next to clean off and then we could just put the plates away...What a smarty pants he is.

The recipe also calls to cook the patties under the brolier. Well mine for whatever reason has decided to never work. So I fried them in a large frypan and it worked just fine:) Thanks Taste and Tell for one winner of a recipe!

Salisbury Steak..8 servings
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 medium Onion,Finely Diced
1/2 cup Green Pepper;Finely Diced
1 stalk Celery; Finely Diced
2 TB Snipped Parsley
1 Clove Garlice; Finely Diced
1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
1/2 tsp. Dried Marjoram; Crushed
1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme; Crushed
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper

Sauce
3 TBL Butter
1 cup Sliced Mushrooms
1/2 tsp. Flour
1/3 cup Chili Sauce
1/4 cup Dry Red Wine
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
Dash of Hot Pepper Sauce..I left out.

Pre heat Broiler. Crumble beef in a large bowl; Set aside. You can either use a food processor to mince the onion,bell pepper,celery,,parsley, and garlic or finely chop it like I did. Add to beef mixture but do not mix yet. Add the ground mustard,majoram,thyme,paprika,salt, and pepper to beef mixture.  Mix all ingredients together,making sure not to over work the beef.. Shape into 8 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Place patties onto broiler pan and broil and cook for 12-14 minutes, or until done, turning halfway.

To make the sauce: In a large saucepan,melt the butter ; Add mushrooms. Cook 4-5 minutes over medium high heat until tender. Sprinkle with flour and stir. Add the chili sauce, red wine, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce Cook and stir until bubbly, cook for 1 minute more. Serve sauce over patties.

9 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! It sounds so good. Delicious. I want to come over for dinner!

☼¨`*•.♥Rocío♥.•*¨`☼ said...

Oh Yummy for my tummy!!!!!

Cassie said...

I made salisbury steak once before and wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I should try this recipe! That's an amazing photo, too, Sonya!

Sonya said...

Thanks Cassie..I love sunnier weather because then I can take photos in the natural light:)

I've never been impressed with salisbury steak either but this recipe turned it around me for!

Frau said...

Omg looks good I can almost smell it! Yum! Have a wonderful day....holy cow is it warm in NL it's over 70 here today I'm sweating!!

Sonya said...

Frau it's 72 here!! I've got the windows all open and our big ceiling fan going..lol

Rebecca said...

That not only looks delicious, but sounds full of the yum!

Deborah said...

I'm so glad you made this and liked it - and didn't make the same mistake I did!! I hope you don't mind, but I linked your post on mine!

Sonya said...

Deborah I don't mind at all!