Wednesday, March 3, 2010

White Enchiladas

I have a long list of bookmarked recipes to try..there is just to many good things out there in blog land! I finally got around to making this dish wich comes from Eat at Home. I love her recipes because most of the ingredients I already have on hand and she is always making something that I either loved growing up and forgot about or a new dish that needs to be tried.
This was a real winner in the house and it's a snap to put together. I made 8 homemade tortillas instead of 10 storebought and that worked out perfect for us. The sauce is just delicious and had us all wishing I made a double batch.

White Enchiladas..serves 4-6
10 flour tortillas..store bought or Homemade
2 cups Shredded Jack Cheese
2 cups Cooked Chicken; Shredded
1/2 Onion; Diced..I left out
3 TBL Butter
3 TBL Flour
1 can Chicken Brother..1 3/4-2 cups
1 cup sour Cream
1 7oz can Diced Green Chilis

Pre heat oven to 425 or 220 celcius. Mix together 1 cup of the cheese,the chicken and the onion. Place an equal amount of the mixture into each tortilla, roll up and place seam side down into a 9x13 pan.

In a skillet or saucepan,melt the butter. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, whisking until smooth. Cook over medium heat until it thickens and bubbles. Stir in sour cream and green chilis. Pour oer the top of the enchiladas; Sprinkle top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes.    

15 comments:

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Sonya, I have got to quit reading your blog at 5 am. I am always starving. And I'm pretty sure its not acceptable to consume white enchiladas for breakfast :)

lytha said...

oh i wish i could find green chilis and jack cheese here. i would love to make those.

~lytha

Sonya said...

Lytha use cheddar and slice your own chilis..thats what I did!

Lizzy said...

Oh yum, that looks so good! I've never had enchiladas with flour tortillas before, but now I'm very curious.

What A Dish! said...

That looks yummy- I like how it doesn't use canned cream of chicken (or whatever) soup... I might make this sometime!

Sonya said...

Yeah Im not a giant fan of the cream of watever either..lol

Frau said...

yummy...I make enchiladas all the time never with white sauce! Thanks again for keeping me fat with all the delish recipes!

Diana's Cocina said...

Oh how we love enchiladas! Looks delish. Come by and see me!

Blessed said...

yum! Will definitely try this! Of course with no jack.... or cheddar (don't know where you find it! its MIA around our neck of the woods) so gouda it is! Maybe dinner tomorrow.. thanks! :)

Nancy C said...

Looks awesome.

Cassie said...

Oh YUM! Yum, yum, yum, and also: yum! This right up my alley. I think I'll try them in the next couple of weeks!

Prairiemaid said...

I love these. My oldest daughter started making them. We had always used beef and corn tortillas. Now, this is the main "go to" dish when we don't know what to fix for supper. And no one complains!

Glad you were able to come up with the ingredients.

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Now I want Mexican for supper!

Kristin said...

This most definitely a must try!

Anonymous said...

Made this recipe at it was great. I was not sure where the onion where suppose to be added.

thank you
leana