Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Orange Sherbet

I love sherbet! I espically love orange sherbet. I was sitting on the couch on monday thinking about it and decided that it was time to give it a shot. So I went online and started looking for a recipe. I saw all sorts using fresh fruits..I had none of those in the house. I plan to make this recipe again using blueberries and strawberries and I wonder if rhubarb would work?

Anyway I settled on a recipe from Alton Brown. This is the first one I have ever tried from him and although I'm not ready to do a back flip over this recipe..it wasn't bad. I've noticed that sometimes when you make something in a homemade form, it doesn't have the exact taste of the storebought version. I suspect thats due largely to the fact that we aren't using chemicals up the ying yang to produce it. This didn't have the same orange taste that I am used to but we all really loved it. I noticed there are tons of recipes out there for sherbet..using juice,fresh fruits and even cans of soda. So I think in the end I will keep trying until I find the one that works for me. In the meantime this is a great way to satisfy a orange sherbet craving!

Orange Sherbet..Makes 1 Quart
1 cup Sugar
1-1/2 TBL Finely grated Orange Peel..I left out
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 cups Orange Juice..freshly squeezed or store bought
1 TBL Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Whole Milk..I used 2%

Blend all ingredients except for milk in a blender. Process until sugar is dissolved; About 1 minute. Alton suggested using a food processor but everyone complained that it leaked to much and the blender did a better job. Incase you don't have any of these or you are like me and broke your darn blender, just heat the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves:)

Pour into a bowl and whisk in milk. Cover and refrigerate until temp reaches 40 or below; About 1 hr. If you have to heat your ingredients over the stove it will of course take longer than an hour to cool down.

Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until it is the consistency of soft serve..my ice cream maker runs for about 35 minutes so however long yours takes will be fine. Serve right away or transfer to a lidded container and place in freezer until firm; About 3 hours. These are best served with my Crispy Lemon Sugar Cookies :)