Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Macaroni Salad

My husband and I were on a lucky streak with the cold season. We managed to escape the Notorius P.I.G flu twice when the boys got it a week apart from each other. We blew right on through the sniffles,coughs, and fevers that everyone else was getting. It's finally come to an end. I suppose we should be thankful. This is the healthiest we have ever been during the winter cold season and thats saying alot. My husband has a sore throat and I'm avoiding the poor man like the plague. As a mother I know that if I get sick the whole freaking world might as well stop turning. Everything grinds to a hault,nothing gets done, and if you're anything like me, you're vaccuming with a full on fever. So please send me good vibes so that I can keep on truckin!
  
Macaroni Salad is super easy and cheap to make. You can add any sort of ingredients you like. It's great as a side dish or a quick lunch. I actually think the taste gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. I prefer my macaroni salad not drenched in mayonnaise. However if you like more with yours then by all means add more of it:) I'm also including possible add ins. You can make this salad many ways. You can turn it into a Tuna pasta salad by adding in a can of tuna. You can also add in onions,bell peppers,pickles or cheese. The recipe comes from a Taste of Home cookbook called Dinner on a Dime. They have so many great money saving recipes and who doesn't love that!


Macaroni Salad..serves 6-8 with leftovers
2 cups Dry Small Macaroni Noodles; Cooked and Drained
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1 TBL Lemon Juice
2 tsp. Prepared Mustard
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
Seasoning Salt as needed

Possible Add Ins
1 Large Carrot; Shredded
1/4 cup Onion
1/2 cup Chopped Bell Peppers
1 can Tuna: Drained and Flaked
1 tsp. Dill weed..if using tuna
1/2 cup or more Chopped Dill Pickles
1/2 cup or more Diced Cheese
1-2 Hard Boiled Eggs; Chopped
1/2 cup Peas


In a large bowl combine the pasta,mayo,lemon juice,mustard,salt,pepper,seasoning salt, and any adds in that you want. For the photo above I added in tuna,diced up pickles and cheese. Mix everything together and store in the fridge covered, for atleast 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.