Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kool Aid Pie

Today was beautiful. It was 65 degrees and that might as well be 80. I sent the boys off to school this morning and got busy. I opened up all the windows after cleaning them,did laundry and started on dinner early. I wanted to make a nice spring themed meal to celebrate such a beautiful day. You become so thankful for days like these because in no time at all it will be back to rain.

I wanted to thank everyone who helped with my Cool Whip question. It turned out that I needed about 2-1/2-3 cups of it. Anyway this is what I ended up making! You can not buy cool whip here so naturally I swapped it out for whipping cream:) This is such an easy pie to make. It only takes 4 ingredients to make this and it doesnt cost a whole lot..espically if you make the crust yourself. Wich I did!
For my European peeps I used these kinds of cookies in place of the graham cracker crust. I would suggest using a sandy type cookie and in a flavor that matches wichever type of kool aid mix you want to use. If you want to use a a homemade graham cracker type crust, use this Recipe and just use crushed cookies in place of the graham cracker. 
The recipe also calls for condensed milk and I know both The Netherlands and Germany sell this because I've boughten it in both countries. Ok back to our regular scheduled program:)

This pie is super easy to make and taste great! It's a total summer time dessert espically since there is no baking required!! However eat this anytime you like:)

You can use whatever type of kool aid you like and you can get creative with what you add in. I chopped up some strawberries to add in the mixture but you could add sliced bananas on the bottom and pour the mixture on top. The possibilities are endless!
Plus if you use the strawberry packet, you get a seriously bright pink pie. I'm not much of a fan of pink but I really loved the color!

Kool Aid Pie..1 pie
1-8 ounce tub of Cool Whip; Thawed..or 2-1/2 cups of homemade whipping cream
1-14 ounce can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 packet of Kool-Aid; Un sweetened
1 9 inch Graham Cracker Crust

In a bowl add the sweetened condensed milk and sprinkle kool aid packet over top; Mix until combined. Add in whipping cream; mix until combined and pour into pie plate. Refrigerate until set and cold; About 2 hours.