Monday, March 15, 2010

Honey Butter Sauce for Chicken and Baked Rice

It's a start of another new week. My weekend was spent taking care of two sick kids and that didn't leave me much time for anything else. I had high hopes of heading into germany to buy a few baking items and to take some photos. However sick children have a way of putting a hold on everything:)

 I decided to try the honey butter sauce from Katy over at Food For A Hungry Soul. She told me about it when I mentioned that I was looking for a honey lemon chicken recipe. If you like the taste of citrus on your chicken then I hope you try this. The great thing about it is that it only has 3 ingredients and you can control how much you flavor you want from each part. She has a recipe on how to use it with baked chicken so head over there if you want that version. My lovely oven only comes with one oven rack and I needed that for the baked rice so I decided to make the chicken on the stove.

I've been searching for new side dishes to make. They don't have rice a roni or flavored pasta side dishes so I'm left to come up with my own. The rice is baked in a lovely cheese sauce and it was a real hit in my house. 

Honey Butter Sauce
1/4 cup Melted Butter
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Lemon Juice

4 Chicken Breasts
Unflavored Bread Crumbs
1 Egg; Beaten

Dip the chicken breasts into the egg and then into the bread crumbs. Place into heated frying pan with small amount of oil. Combine the sauce ingredients in another bowl and mix until combined. When you flip the chicken over, take a spoonful of the sauce and cover each breast. I went ahead and basted it one more time before flipping it over again. I basted that side and then pour the whole amount over the chicken and allowed it to soak in until the chicken was cooked.

Baked Rice..serves 4
3 cups Cooked Rice
1 Cup Milk
2 TBL Butter
2 TBL Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Sauteed Mushrooms
1/4-1/2 cup Sauteed Onions
1 cup Shredded Cheese
Seasonings of Choice

Pre heat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Lightly grease either a 1 or 2 quart baking dish and set aside. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and salt; Whisk for one minute. Add in the milk and bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened. Lower the heat and add the shredded cheese and mix for 30 seconds. Turn the heat off and add in the rice,mushrooms and onions. Mix everything together and pour into the casserole dish. Bake until heated through, about 20-25 mins.