Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Homemade Whoopie Pies for St.Patty's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I actually have a hard time keeping up with holidays now. I'm in a weird time warp over here. I forget certain holidays now wich I suppose is normal. Only americans celebrate the 4th of July:) I got up this morning and got busy with some whoopie pies!! These are not normal whoopie pies. These are seriously ginormous pies..and thats after going smaller than the original recipe called for.
You can't tell in the photo but I used green food coloring in the cream filling. I wanted these to be a surprise for my 3 guys tonight so I had to bake them,frost them,take photos, and wrap them all up before the boys got home at noon. I washed all the dishes,cleaned the counter tops and vacuumed using a lemon scented capsule you can stick in the bag so it smells good. I didn't want there to be any lingering chocolate smells to give me away. I'm pooped now!
  These are huge though..like hamburger sized. The original recipe only wanted you to make enough for 8 main servings..You would of had to serve those on a plate with a knife and fork! The whoopie pies are really soft with a nice mellow chocolate flavor. They puff up really big in the oven so keep that in mind when baking them. I placed only two on each row so in total I baked 6 at a time. I used an ice cream scoop and came away with 22 whoopies wich made 11 pies. You can also make them smaller of course just make sure there is an even amount.They suggested that you allow the little cakes to mature over night to bring out the chocolate flavor even more. There's no way that was going to happen but Im sure tomorrow we will eat another one and find out if it's better the next day!(Update,I ate one this morning and it takes on a even better intense chocolate flavor..the chocolate has time to settle down and become really moist and the flavor is more deep and complex..worth waiting overnight  if you can:)

Whoopie Pies..11 pies
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Dutch process Cocoa Powder
1-1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup well shaken Buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter; Softened
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa,baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. In another small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and vanilla.

Beat together the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy,about 3 minutes in a stand mixer and 5 if using a hand mixer. Add in egg and beat until well combined. Reduce speed to low and alternately mix in flour mixture and buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed until mixture is smooth.

Take a cookie sheet and either butter or line it with parchment paper. Using an ice cream scoop,scoop dough and place onto cookie sheet and place 2 inches apart. If baking more than one sheet at a time place them in the upper and lower thirds of the oven making sure to switch places half way through cooking time. Bake until tops of the cakes are puffed up and spring back when touched..about 10-13 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely. Frost with favorite filling. You could use a mint filling aswell.

I did not use their filling recipe because it calls for marshmallow creme and thats not something I can get on a regular basis. If you want that filling you can find the entire recipe HERE. Store in airtight container.