Friday, March 12, 2010

Homemade Jello

I seriously have alot of time on my hands if I am able to blog about making your own jello at home. I'm sure you are probably thinking that it would be just as easy to open up a box of regular jello and make that...and you would be right. 

However this version doesn't have anything other than unflavored gelatine and whatever juice you want to add to it. There are tons and tons of flavors to choose from in the U.S. but not so much here. I've spotted strawberry and orange..thats it. So I know I can't be the only one in the world who doesn't have access to that. If you have unflavored gelatine you can make any flavore of jello you want. You can control the sugar you put in by either not adding any at all or swapping it out for honey. I wonder if you took flat pop and used that instead of juice if you could then make cola jello..or is that just to over the top? LOL

Homemade Jello..serves 4
1 packet of Knox Unflavored Gelatine
2 cups Fruit Juice
1-2 TBL Sugar or Honey
1/2 cup Fresh Fruit; Optional


In a medium bowl soften the gelatine in 1/2 cup of the juice. Put remaining juice in saucepan and bring to a boil. Add in sugar or honey and stir to combine. Pour boiling water over gelatine mixture stirring constantly until it's completely dissolved. If using fresh fruit add at this time. Either pour into a mold or leave in bowl. Refrigerate until firm. About 3 hours.