Friday, March 19, 2010

Fried Mozzarella Slices

I've been meaning to try this for a few months now..but I forgot about it. I was chatting with another expat on facebook and we talked about the lack of mozzarella here. The only type we can find are these little balls that come packed in water.(I am aware of the fact that they sometimes sell it in shredded form at different stores in the netherlands, but where I live I am unable to find that so Im bringing this version incase someone else can only find the wet form aswell)
 She mentioned that maybe by draining it, it would become more dry and therefor easier to shred or in my case bread and fry. I decided to give it a go. I used a small colander and drained it in the fridge for 3 days and then allowed it to sit out for another 2 days. I wanted to get it as dry as possible. Today I finally set my plan into action. I think it worked.
I sliced the ball up wich ws kind of hard. The mozzarella is soft and getting clean slices isn't easy. I was able to get 4 slices out of it but the last one needed to be divided because of how thick it was. I floured both sides with flour,dipped it into egg and then into bread crumbs. I left it in the refrigerator for a few hours and then fried it on the stove with some olive oil.
 They tasted grate! just like a stick but in patty form. It would of been equally good topped with red sauce or dipped in ranch. I would say for sure to either use seasoned bread crumbs or season plain ones yourself. I didn't bother to do that and wished I had. Im going to buy some more at the store and serve these as a side dish sometime next week for dinner.

Fried Mozzarella Slices
Fresh Mozzarella Slices(if using the wet kind,you need to drain it really well or it will be to wet to slice and fry up)
Flour
Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1 Egg; Lightly Beaten
Seasonings of choice

Place bread crumbs in a small bowl or dish and set aside. Place egg into small bowl and lightly beat it. Sprinkle flour onto each slice of cheese. Dip cheese then into egg, shaking of any access and then into the bread crumbs; coating both sides. Place on plate and repeat until done. Place in refrigerator for up to 2 hours. Pour some olive oil into a pan or medium heat and fry slices until it's golden brown on each side..about 2-3 mins per side. My cheese started oozing out a bit at the end so don't worry about that. Serve with marinara sauce or ranch dressing.