Monday, March 1, 2010

Faux Bisquick Garlic Cheese Biscuits W/Update!

I go through periods where I just don't want to hear that I can't find some kind of product I am used to. If I can not find it I want to know what works in place of it. If I can't find that, then I just throw a fit and do it anyway. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Lastnight I wanted to create a Bisquick recipe. Naturally they do not sell that here. Online on various blogs you can find homemade versions of it. However those contain 2 cups of shortening. I can find teenie palm sized cans of that in a Toko but there is now way I am spending close to 15 american dollars for it. No freaking way...
What I did do is Wiki Bisquick...if you look on that site it includes a substitute recipe for 1 cup of bisquick. Now the majority of bisquick is shortening and flour so I was kind of surprised when the substitute called for melted butter or oil. I went with it though. I got up this morning, sent the boys off to school and made a batch of the garlic cheese biscuits(Not the Red Lobster Ones!). It worked...

Now I must tell you since I have been gone for almost 3 years I have actually forgotten what bisquick tastes like. However these biscuits were fluffy,light and tasted perfect to me. I won't go so far as to say that you can sub this recipe with any bisquick recipe because I havent tried that..so please don't e-mail me telling me you failed miserably when you tried to use it in a regular recipe. I am however going to try it tonight when I make the Impossible Cheeseburger Pie. This should be really interesting since I don't have a glass pie plate..Im going to use an oval shaped glass casserole dish. (UPDATE BELOW)

So for the expats out there that know what Bisquick is..give it a shot..you just might like it:)

Bisquick Garlic Cheese Biscuits..makes 10-12
2 Cups Bisquick Mix..Faux recipe below
2/3 cup Milk
1/2 cup Shredded Sharp or Mild Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Butter; Melted
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder

Faux Bisquick Mix
1 cup Flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 TBL Melted Butter or Oil..I used Butter
Since the recipe above calls for 2 cups double everything but the salt. I felt that 1/2 tsp was more than enough and anymore would make the biscuits salty. They turned out perfect. Combine the ingredients and combine it as much as you can.

Pre heat oven to 450 or 230 celcius. In a medium bowl combine the bisquick,milk, and cheese with a fork or wire whisk until soft dough forms; beat quickly for 30 seconds. Drop dough onto ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir melted butter and garlic powder until well mixed. Brush on warm biscuits.

**I noticed my dough was a bit dry when mixing but it didnt affect the overall product when it was done**    

I made the Cheeseburger Pie lastnight using this Faux recipe and it came out! I updated the recipe by adding in bacon,mushrooms and more seasonings.