Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crispy Lemon Sugar Cookies

Wow Easter is almost here...I must confess though that my easter spirit isn't what it used to be..largely due to the fact that my two sons are getting older and beyond the whole easter basket and hunting for easter eggs deal. They still want chocolate of course and a prize..that never goes away. Later on this week I will be showing you an easy dessert your kids can decorate themselves:)

  I really love lemon sugar cookies but I don't always feel like rolling it out and using cookie cutters. When that happens I turn to this recipe. It reminds me so much of my favorite lemon sugar cookies but crispy. Mine came out more fluffy but I suspect thats due to the fact that I only used butter and not half shortening. I also made my bigger so they were thicker..who doesn't like a thick cookie? Using colored sugar gives it a nice spring touch don't you think?

Crispy Lemon Sugar Cookies..4-6 dozen
1/2 cup Butter; Softened
1/2 cup Butter Flavored Shortening
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 TBL Milk
2 tsp. Lemon Extract
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2-1/2 cups Flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. In a bowl combine the flour,salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl cream butter,shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg,milk, and extracts. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until combined.

Shape either into 1 inch balls or drop by teaspoons full onto ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Tomorrow I will show you what I served these with:)