Saturday, March 27, 2010

Coleen's Baked Chicken

I love baked chicken! What I don't love is cooking it in a pan and all the juices either collecting inside the cavitity wich made it un usuable to me or it would make the bottom of the chicken really soggy. Awhile ago Coleen from Coleen's Recipes posted about roasting a chicken and the best way to do it.

She actually split the chicken open by cutting the backbone out. Now I realise there are some people out there who have issues with touching raw chicken or any other raw meat for that matter. Thankfully, I don't share those same views so this wasnt a problem for me. I had some heavy duty kitchen scissors wich made this job really easy. When you split it open you are able to lay the chicken out flat onto cut up potatoes,carrots, and celery. The lovely juice from the chicken turns into a wonderful broth and flavors all of the vegetables.

I won't roast a chicken anyother way now. I know this isn't a new concept but it was to me so incase anyone else out there who hasn't given this a try..I really really hope you do! Thank you Coleen for yet another wonderful recipe! Coleen has photos of the process so head over there to see those. There was no way I could photograph and mess with raw chicken at the same time!

Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken
Assorted Veggies; Cut Up
Seasonings

Pre heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Remove chicken from wrapper and sit it in your kitchen sink. Steady the chicken in the upright position, with legs pointing down. Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors remove the backbone.  Starting at the neck and slice down, along side of the backbone, all the way down to the tail section; Repeat on the other side. Remove the backbone and discard...Because I used scissors I found it easier to just lay the chicken down and I cut one side, turned it around and cut the other.


Rinse the chicken thourougly under running water on both sides,making sure to rub down all the meat. Dry off with paper towels. Since you want the chicken to lay flat you need to crack the breastbone..if using a knife make sure to not cut through to the meat. Once you crack the breastbone it should lay out flat. Place veggies into the roasting pan and place chicken on top(season veggies aswell). Brush the skin with butter and seasonings of choice. Roast until done. I had a weenie chicken so mine only took an hour but Coleen says a 4 pounder should take around 1 hour and 30 minutes. When you take it out, cover the top loosely with foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.


** As a general rule you need to really be careful of raw chicken and everything it touches.Everything the chicken has touched needs to be washed down with very warm soapy water!**