Monday, March 8, 2010

Buttermilk Banana Nut Muffins

This morning I woke up to an inch of snow..just yesterday I had blue skies and managed to even take a long walk in the woods with the family...Mother Nature is really messing with me! Oh well what can you do? Bake Banana muffins I say! I searched for days for a recipe to try. I didn't feel like adding in the cinnamon or the large amount of sugar and butter that I found everywhere. This morning I came across this recipe from Dee's Delights. These babies are fantastic. You can sprinkle nuts on top..but wait..you dont like nuts?
  I got naked ones too and they taste just as fabulous. What's that? you're on a diet? why are you even reading this blog if you are on a diet? Well never mind, I got you covered too.
 You can eat mini ones and when you inhale 5 of these little wonders your secret is safe with me:) These muffins are sooooo fluffy,moist and perfect in wich ever form you like:Nuts, No nuts, or Minis. The toasted walnuts on top had a wonderful flavor. This is my go to recipe from now one. Thank you Dee's Delights for a Bananalicious muffin!
  I went ahead and made 12 regular muffins and 24 minis. If you stayed with the regular size than I would imagine you'd get 18 but I'm not 100% sure.

Buttermilk Banana Nut Muffins.12-18 regular sized
2-1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Buttermilk
2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Large Egg; Lightly Beaten
2 VERY ripe large Banana's; Mashed. I used 1 very heaping cup of mashed banana's.
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside. In a large bowl combine the flour,sugars, bkaing powder, baking soda, and salt; Whisk or stir until thoroughly combined.

In another bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and egg. Add mashed bananas to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Combine the dry ingredients into the wet,folding the two gently by hand making sure to not to over mix.

Fill cups 2/3 or so full and sprinkle the nuts on top pressing lightly to make sure they stick to the batter. Bake 18-22 minutes. You want the muffins to have a nice golden brown color and when pressing the top you want it to spring back. I also made sure a toothpick inserted came out clean.

If you dont want to sprinkle the nuts on top you don't have to. I also added a small handful of the nuts into the batter and it was just as good that way. You can freeze these aswell and make sure you keep them tightly wrapped or in a plastic container so they won't dry out!