Saturday, March 20, 2010

Apple Pie Quick Bread

Thursday we had a beautiful burst of warmth and sunshine. It was about 60 degrees and for us that might as well be 80 degrees. I opened up all the windows and headed outside to work in the yard. I  must confess that although I do love having a hard..I hate the upkeep part of it. I've never felt anything other than annoyance when I need to get out there and sweep up dead leaves or weeds. I love watching everything sprout up and grow but thats the extent of it.
The next day and today have been the complete opposite. We have the rain again and everything is grey out..BLAH! It's not fair to give me a taste of whats to come..Im greedy and want it all now! So to cheer myself up, I made a quick bread. I haven't met a quickbread yet that I didn't like. They are so easy to make and come out tasting so moist and flavorful. I spotted this recipe over at Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms and bookmarked it for a day like today.
I apologise for the lack of super clear photos. Although it's always my aim to take a perfect shot my family gets tired of waiting around for me sometimes..and I can't blame them. This is a great loaf,super moist and the struesel topping is wonderful. The only slight problem I had was when it came time to take the loaf out of the pan. You need to turn it over to get it out but that means your topping is going to come off. I fixed this by wrapping the top tightly with tinfoil and when I turned it over the foil kept everything in place. 

I hope you try this..I think you will love it as much as we do!

Apple Pie Bread..1 loaf
1/2 cup Butter; Softened
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Milk
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups Shredded Apples
2 cups Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
3 TBL Flour
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
2 TBl Cold Butter;Diced

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 8x4 of 9x5 bread pan and set aside.

In a bowl combine the flour,baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; mix and set aside.

In another bowl combine the streusel topping and cut the butter in. I always find that using my hands work best. I squish the butter and other ingredients in my hands until its well blended.

In a mixing bowl,cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed. On low speed add in the milk, eggs, vanilla, and apples; mix until smooth.

While still on low speed combine the dry ingredients into the apple mixture and beat until combined and smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Sprinkle streusel topping over batter evenly. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Place tinfoil on top of bread making sure to mold the foil with your fingers all over the top of the bread. Gently invert the loaf onto the counter top with the foil staying on the whole time. Gently place onto wire rack and take off the foil.