Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday's In My City...

Unknown Mami
Hello from no longer snowy but rainy Holland! If this is your first time here, every sunday Unknown Mami allows us to take a look into her world along with everyone else who signs up. So head over and take a virtual trip. 
We had a bit of sun this week..and I mean a bit. As in we had get out suppa fast to get some photos taken. I thought I would show you the streets,the houses along the way and some water..because a post without water in the Netherlands is just so wrong!
 First up we had to stop for gas! gas stations tend to look so much alike. You can buy flowers there and let me tell you, the flowers there were prettier,bigger,fresher and cheaper than anything I ever bought back home.
 Here is what a typical dutch street looks like. Can you tell one of the differences here? The streets here are not covered in power lines. I love it.
Here is another look while we were waiting for the light. I never get tired of the brick homes.
As much as I love this house, I wouldn't be to happy living on such a busy road. I would want my curtains closed all the time.
  We stopped by a canal to get out and walk. As you can tell there is a powerline but it's out in the country side.
                                                                                  As we stood there this big ol thing went by!
 We then took a drive through a small town. Some of these places shouldn't allow cars because of how close you are to the people walking down the streets!
 This is actually part of the downtown area in this little town. I can see the appeal of living like this. You can open up your door, take a left and be shopping in a matter of minutes.
  Here is the downtown area. There are people living above all of these shops and if you look closely you can see parked cars facing eachother both ways. That is not against the law here..which ever way you can fit your car in is ok. I hope you enjoyed your tim here! Have a wonderful week and see you next sunday!                                   

25 comments:

Lee Ann said...

ooh I love the little streets! And the houses are so beautiful. I love the shape of that house. Gorgeous! Thankyou for showing us around x

BLOGitse said...

Oh no, I love this kind of cities/towns!
And those houses are beautiful but as you said, too close the road...
And it looks so clean! I miss clean environment!

I can't remember you - is this your first entry to this meme?
Anyways nice to meet you! :)

BLOGitsePHOTOS

Sonya said...

I've been playing along for some time now:)

Breigh said...

Goddddd I'd so move to that side of the country if I could. I love seeing your photos!

The parking in both directions shocked me when I first got here. Now I realize they'll park SIDEWAYS if it means fitting into a spot sometimes haha

Mrs. Lovely said...

Beautiful pictures! It's so nice to be able to see pictures from around the world.

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh, it was so fun to come along on your trip this week : ) I love that house too! That would be kind of odd to have all manners of people walking by and looking in though, wouldn't it? I think you would have to be a special sort of person to get used to that.

I was at a blog this week where they linked to yours and said how much they loved your site : ) I was so excited to tell them that I think you are an amazing cook too!

Marla said...

I love the homes. Makes me want to go inside and look around.

Shelle said...

Great photos, and you're right photos w/o water over there is not right lol....love your little neighbourhood. Just the way I remember Holland. I never really though about living on top of shops and such there...i usually lived in town or very close. Luckly them being able to park like that...i remember my friend in Munich we would drive around sometimes for over an hour looking for a place to park.

I love how they keep their countries clean over there, and i'm sure you're enjoying all those wonderful flowers.

Mrs4444 said...

It's very quaint. I think part of the appeal is that simple, yet pretty places make us feel calm and relaxed.

Raymonde said...

I like looking at you town, some shots reminded me of streets in England. Thanks for sharing. See you next Sunday. Happy blogging!

Prairiemaid said...

Sonya, I love looking at your photos!

Since I live in the country, the first thing I noticed about the house you love, is no grass to mow! LOL

Everything is so orderly and neat, not in an artificial way, but the result of time, hard work and persistence.

Thanks!

Nancy C said...

I love the gas station freshly cut flowers. That's just magical.

4 Lettre Words said...

These are so beautiful, Sonya!

Are you familiar with Kim's blog at: http://misadventuresofmub.blogspot.com/ ? She is also US gal now living in The Netherlands. I have fallen in love with her blog!

Sonya said...

Yep I know who she is:)

Peterson Family said...

I love it! It looks like a small town out of a movie! Thanks for sharing it!

Erin said...

I so need to visit there! Everything looks so clean!!!

AIRIA ART and PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I love all your photos. shell shop/gas station and brick homes is what you would find in my home town back in england. not so much around here.

newmami_rgv said...

Lovely pictures. The houses look so perfect, I'd love to take a peek inside one of them, haha. Thanks for sharing.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hi Sonya, You live in a lovely area. But I'm with you, I'd prefer a less busy street.

Glad you got a little dry weather. Hope more comes your way. Enjoy the week,
jj

What A Dish! said...

The few NL towns we saw last summer looked just like that! And gotta love the built-in bike paths. :) I'd love to buy fresh, cheap flowers at the gas station!

Traci said...

As always, I love seeing that part of the world through your eyes!
:-)
Traci

Katy ~ said...

What a hoot...facing either way in the parking lanes...

Love the NO electrical wires. I surely wish we did that here... maybe we wouldn't lose our power so often... 600,000 here in the last storm!!

sewa mobil said...

Nice information, this really useful for me. There is nothing to argue about.
Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. Thx.

Haddock said...

Yes the brick houses are always fascinating.

Unknown Mami said...

I love it!

You should see the street I live on; it's pretty much like living on the freeway. I have my curtains set up so that the top of the window is uncovered to let light in so that I can keep the bottom closed.