Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday's In My City..

Happy Valentines Day! Thanks to Unknown Mami we can peak into eachothers lives once a week. Please head over to her site and check her life out aswell as everyone elses. I'm posting from the netherlands..welcome if this is your first time here! Today my husband and I took a walk through the nature wich took us from the netherlands and into germany!
 It's been snowing again so we had to watch where we walked. We could hear the ground cracking beneath us and the last thing I wanted was to fall and land in the cold water! Not all areas had water but it was hard to tell the difference between a path and a ditch at times.
  Every spot we walked to was just begging for it's picture to be taken!
   As we came out of walking through this path we were greeted by another change in scenery.
   It was so brown but equally beautiful! 
   This is a bordermarker post. My husband told me that up until 1992 they patroled the borders but now there is a free traffic of people and goods.
Ok ok, this one had me laughing. I have a small bucket list and one of the items included being in two countries at once. So my right foot is in the netherlands and my left is in germany! As you can tell I walk and dress for comfort and not to impress! As we walked along we saw people that dressed straight out of a winter catalog and here I am in my jeans and nike's! LOL
                      
I'm always very aware of how different things are here..I've never had to worry about border control.
  The first sign in german we came to. It's stating that we are in a nature preserve for birds and we aren't allowed there during certain times of the year to allow the birds to breed in peace.
 I spotted my favorite fairytale mushrooms along the way.


    We came upon a bird watchtower and went inside.
    Here is a view from the top.
 Back into the snow scenes and on our way back to the car. It took us about an hour but what a great walk it was. I plan to come back in the summer and then again in fall. I bet it will be equally beautiful. Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you liked all the photos! As always,click on them to make them larger:) See you next sunday!           Unknown Mami                                                                      

21 comments:

Frau said...

Sonya..thanks for taking us on your walk, i'm totally counting this for my exercise today!! I love your pictures, cool mushroom I have never seen one. Love you walking attire...it's funny I always see people out in their furs and nicely dressed walking in the country. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Ocean Girl said...

Being in two countries at the same time! Never thought of that. That is really interesting. Your walk is interesting and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Lisa said...

So cool that you were in two countries at once and that you have a picture to prove it ;)

lytha said...

hm, i also did not think of that for my bucket list.

but, i've spent enough time near the peace arch on the border between canada and the us that i'm sure i've been in both a bit.

nikes! good grief you wear "tunier schuhe" outside of a gym! i'm so amazed at your bravery. that is the number one way to spot an american tourist. or a NY tourist, actually. (and after the shoes you look to see the sock color. white=ami.)

i look and smell like a barn child most of the time, leaving muddy/manurey tracks behind me at aldi, and that's why i'm glad we live in the country.

hey, you guys know german? (the sign)

nikes!!!

~lytha, whose mother keeps trying to talk her into getting some "reasonable" shoes (athletic shoes)

Sonya said...

Yep I gotta have my Nikes:) I totally stand out here..I smile to much, Im to happy and I wear Nikes.

Lytha Edwin can speak german..most all dutch people can speak german,english and some french..they are all about bettering themselves in all areas.

Mama Zen said...

These are really neat. I would love to visit there someday.

Peterson Family said...

LOVE your posting today! And I especially love that you were in two countries at once! Awesome!!

Lee Ann said...

Ooh beautiful pics! I love the one of the border and the reference to your bucket list! Awesome! x

Shelle said...

what a wonderful trip...l look forward to seeing the change of seasons. I didn't know they'd closed all the border checks....i guess they did that with the European trade and euros...how Europe must have changed. I always remember the rather frightening stop and Bregenz (i think) with the dogs and guards going thru the trains....guess it had something to do with the area.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Two countries at the same time is very cool! Thanks for sharing your walk with is. I could almost feel the cold, fresh air.

Have a great week,
jj

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh Sonya! I love that you have a bucket list! And SO excited that you could cross one thing off of it! Perfect!

Your pictures are so pretty. I am glad you could go on this great adventure : ) with your husband. Very fun!

Candee said...

You should go down to Limburg and stand at the point of three countries (Germany, Netherlands and Belgium). Beautiful views down that way too.
Beautiful pictures by the way! The one of the mushroom looks like a big nose - just add an eye and mouth to the tree (cartoon style of course lol).

Sonya said...

Candee I plan on going there aswell! thats so funny about the mushroom..I can totally see that!!

sunday-in-my-neighborhood said...

I loved the snow scenes! Beautiful pictures. I did the same thing this week - because I could!

Erin said...

Such great pics on your walk! You are right, everywhere you look it was just screaming to have a pic taken!! Just beautiful!

Mrs. Lovely said...

Nice pics! I grew up in a border town in Canada and we were always going over to the US and to this day, whenever we cross the bridge (there's a wee river between the crossings on my home town), when we get the international boundary line, I stop and think about how I'm in two countries at once.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Nancy C said...

I love this walk...this is what makes a happy marriage, just spending time together. I normally get all heeby-jeeby with mushrooms, but that one was strangely beautiful. It was like the tree was wearing a Groucho Marx mask.

Prairiemaid said...

Sonya, love your pictures, although they look very much like what I see out my kitchen window....and I am in rural Oklahoma. We have seen way too much snow this year!

Have you read Robin Jones Gunn latest book, Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes? It was amazing!

Saw where your exchange food boxes. What do you need from the U.S.?

Katy ~ said...

Even in stark winter there is beauty, if only one stops to see it.

I smiled at being in 2 countries at the same time. Living not so far from the Canadian border traffic is sometimes stopped on the interstate by the border patrol, looking for drugs. I always get so rattled by those huge guys in uniform and wearing a gun that I can't remember my "country of origin."

Aledys Ver said...

What a lovely walk that was!! And so close to the border, too. That made it special. Here in The Netherlands, it's not a big deal crossing back and forth, but I guess that for those of us who come originally from big countries, it's somehow fascinating! :o)
Beautiful pictures!!

Unknown Mami said...

Congratulations on being in two places at one time! That's quite an accomplishment.