Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

I'm having one of those weeks where I need to shake alot of things off. I have to work extra hard sometimes to stay focused with living here and although those days are getting further and further apart..they still come and I still miss the U.S. So on days like this, I turn the music up loud and try a new recipe.

I actually didn't know there was a snickerdoodle ice cream. It's not for everyone I don't think. It's not something I could eat all the time but it really has a nice old fashioned quality about it. It's creamy,smooth and pairs very well with snickerdoodle cookies. Infact I made some of those today aswell and made ice cream sandwiches out of them. They were good. Like really good.
 I didn't want a whole batch so I scaled a recipe down and made 25. I don't know what it is about snickerdoodles but you can inhale 5 without even knowing it. I can go years without making these cookies and the moment I make them I ask myself what took so long. Snickerdoodles rock.
This ice cream would also go well with either apple crisp or apple pie. The only change I will make to this recipe is using 1 teaspoon of cinnamon instead of two next time. I like cinnamon but this was on the verge of being slightly to much. We all loved it though and thought it was a nice change from the everyday flavors.

Snickerdoodle Ice Cream..1 liter
3/4 cup Sugar
1-1/2 cups Half and Half or Milk..I used milk
2 Egg Yolks; Beaten
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar and the milk; continue to stir to make sure the sugar dissolves. When the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat and whisk half of the mixture into the eggs. **I actually ladle in a little at time to make sure the eggs don't scramble. Whisk quickly to make sure this doesn't happen!**

Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and stir in the heavy cream. Continue cooking over medium-low, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to cover the back of a metal spoon..around 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and cinnamon. You can pour mixture through a fine strainer with a bowl underneath to make sure there are no pieces of cooked egg. Allow mixture to cool and put in the fridge until it gets cold. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.