Monday, February 1, 2010

Simple Cinnamon Coffee Cake

This morning we woke up to more snow. I am going to keep that lovely phrase of "Be careful what you wish for" tucked away in my mind from now on. I asked for snow and boy did I get it!
  Oh well it will be gone soon enough and then the rain will set in and I will be missing these snow days.
  
 Lets move on to the coffee cake! This is a super simple no frills coffee cake. My lovely expat friends around me, you can safely serve this to your dutch and german friends without getting the constant "It's to sweet" comment. The cake itself puffs up beautifully and is very light and airy. The buttery cinnamon sugar topping is the star in this coffee cake.
  If you want you could always add a handful or two of chopped up nuts or your favorite berry. This is a great recipe to keep on hand if you get unexpected guests. You can whip this up in a matter of minutes and enjoy it in under an hour. My husband and I love this served warm but it's equally delicious when cooled.

Cinnamon Coffee Cake
2 cups Flour
3/4 cups Sugar
1 TBL Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Shortening or Butter..I used butter
1 large Egg; Beaten
3/4 cup Milk
2 TBl Butter; Melted

Topping:
2 TBL Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 cup reserved Flour Mixture



Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease an 8 inch baking pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar,baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter,two knives or your hands cut in the butter or shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Put 1/2 cup of the mixture into a small bowl and set aside. Stir in egg and milk to remaining flour mixture and mix until combined. Spoon batter into pan and smooth the surface. Pour melted butter over top of batter

2. To make topping, take the 1/2 cup flour mixture and add in the 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tsp. of cinnamon. Stir to combine and sprinkle over top of batter evenly. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. I think my oven took about 45minutes..but mine is always off. You can leave this at room temp for about 3 days or freeze it up to 3 months..but it wont last that long. Ours was gone that morning!