Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Meatloaf Take 2

As I type this entry, Im laughing to myself. Im drinking coffee..now had you known me 3 years ago this is something you never would of seen me do. I have hated the smell and the taste of coffee ever since I can remember. When my husband first came to the U.S. I asked him if there was anything special he wanted when he got here. He said a coffee pot and cheese. That totally sums up a dutch person. In Hawaii they give you a lei when you get off the plane..over here they need to hand you a cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee. 
When we moved here I got tired of everyone looking and me in surprise when I declined the coffee offer. So I started drinking it. It takes 2 fake sugars and some creamer, but now I love it and can't go without it. Now if only they would sell flavored coffee creamers over here! come on already.
 In my last meatloaf entry I asked people to give me their favorite recipe so I could try it. Katy from Food For A Hungry Soul gave me a link to hers.  I made it lastnight. We all decided that we just love Katy. Well I already knew I did because she is the kindest blogger out there. Her posts are often filled with love and memories of growing up. I can relate to alot of them because I too grew up alot like she did and it influences on how I cook and bake today. Living in europe is harder when it comes to having an american background. I'm used to stretching things as far as they can possibly go and over here it's more of a challenge to stretch anything. 
  This meatloaf has a killer topping and the meat itself is really moist and has a wonderful flavor. I totally suck at mincing parsley but noone noticed. Katy my youngest actually licked his plate to get all the sauce off! Thank you for a wonderful recipe we will make over and over again.

Amish Meatloaf with Sweet and Sour Sauce
 2 Eggs,Beaten
2 small Onions; Finely Diced
1/2 cup Fresh Parsley; Minced
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 cup Cracker or Unflavored Bread Crumbs
2 lbs. Ground Beef

Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Prepared Mustard
2 TBL. Cider Vinegar..I used regular
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Thoroughly combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl; Set Aside. In a large bowl add 1/2 of the sauce,eggs,and remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly with either a large spoon or with your hands:) Place in a 9x13 pan and shape mixture into a firm shaped loaf, making sure to leave room on all sides so any cooking fat can be easily removed. Bake for 40 minutes. Pour remaining sauce over the top of the loaf and bake another 10minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10minutes before serving.

Feeds 6-8 and leftovers always make great sandiwches for lunch the next day:)