Monday, February 8, 2010

Golden Lemon Loaf



 Im pretty sure the U.S. is like the quick bread capitol of the world. I have on going discussions with certain dutch people who argue the name of quick breads. If I serve this or any type of quick bread like banana they tell me it's cake. Well no it isn't I say. I tell them quick breads come in many different forms, not all sweet but they are not cake like and yes I agree they are also not bread like. This talk can go on forever and they always end up looking at me like Im trying to pull one over on them. I can not tell you how seriously annoying it is to have to defend everything you bake..so I'm not going to anymore. Eat it and shut up:)
   Not that they will have anything to complain about after they eat this! The simple lemon syrup soaks into the bread and gives it a nice burst of flavor. Although I do love lemon, Im really sensitive as to how it's used and I'm happy to say this flavor balance is perfect. When the loaf came out I poked holes all over on the top with a skewer. The loaf itself doesn't have any flavoring like vanilla, so allowing the syrup to soak all the way in gives you a great citrus flavor with every bite.
  My husband went nuts over it and asked that I make it tomorrow for my father in law..oh darn I have to make it again:) I got this recipe from a 2007 Taste of Home magazine and like always, I am never let down.

Golden Lemon Loaf..1 loaf
1/2 cup Shortening..I used Butter
1 cup Sugar
1-1/2 cups Flour
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Milk

Glaze
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 tsp. Grated Lemon Peel..I left it out.Im not a big zest fan
2-3 TBL Lemon Juice..I used 2

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Combine the flour,baking powder and salt; Set aside.

Grease an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan and set aside. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time,beating well after each one. Add flour mixture to cream mixture, alternatley with milk.

 Pour into loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted towards middle comes out clean. Gently poke the top of the baked loaf with a skewer or other small handle. You don't need to go all the way to the bottom, just enough to let the glaze soak in.

  Combine the glaze ingredients with a whisk and pour over the top of the warm bread,making sure it goes into all the holes. Cool completely before removing it from the pan! Doing this allows the glaze to soak in from all sides.