Friday, February 12, 2010

Drop Biscuits

They don't have biscuits in the netherlands of any kind. There are no refrigerated pillsbury anything here...oh wait in a few stores they sell small cans of 6 biscuits but when I saw the price I didn't need them that badly. I do sometimes miss the lovely prepackaged items that the U.S. is so awesome at making. I sometimes have to make 2-3 things from scratch in order to make one meal. It gets tiresome at certain points. I love to cook and bake but who doesn't want a quick fix every once and awhile?

Thats where drop biscuits come in. When I'm feeling way to lazy to roll out and cut them, I use this recipe. They taste just like a rolled out and cut kind only in a more compact form. These are wonderful topped with butter and a drizzle of honey OR you can make those yummie Red Lobster biscuits. That recipe uses bisquick but I don't let that stop me from making those.

Drop Biscuits..12
2 cups Flour
1 TBL Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Shortening or Butter
1 cup Milk

Pre heat oven to 425 or 220 celcius. In a bowl sift together the flour,baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands(wich is what I always do) cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in milk and stir until the dough is well combined. Drop by spoonfuls onto sheet and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.