Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crescent Cinnamon Twists

A few posts ago I mentioned that we didn't have any pillsbury products of any kind here. What I failed to mention is that we do have refrigerated crescent dough! I totally forgot about it. I bought a can a few days ago and thought about what to make with it. The crescent dough here is slightly different. You get 6 huge crescents..alot bigger than the ones back home and they taste different aswell.

  I went over to the Pillsbury website and started hunting. I spotted this recipe and decided to make it tonight. These are sooo good..like really good. They remind me of elephant ears that you could buy at the state fairs. My husband mentioned that it reminded him of a fresh doughnut and the boys inhaled theirs with smiles on their faces. I also thought that if you wanted you could go one step further and serve with either drizzled frosting or serve it along the side..but that would just be pushing it:)
  On a quick side note. Today was carnival day at school..it's kind of a like a mardi gras day. All the teachers and kids dress up and play games. My oldest son who is 11 came home with a big smile on his face. He told me danced with two girls..after they had asked him. He turned beet red and waited for my response. I knew he was asked by the one girl he talks all the time about. I told him I thought it was great and how cool it was that two girls wanted to dance with him. He's growing up fast and I struggle with wanting to keep him right where he is but also excited to see where he goes from here on out. It's hard being a mom and letting go!

Crescent Cinnamon Twists..Makes 12-13
1 can refrigerated crescent dough
2 TBL Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 TBL Butter; Melted

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar; set aside. Unroll dough and seperate into 4 rectangles. Press each into a 6x4 rectangle.

Brush the tops of two of the rectangles with butter and half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Top each with remaining rectangles and press down lightly. Brush tops with melted butter.

With a pizza cutter, cut each rectangle stack lenghtwise into 6 strips. Twist each strip 3 times and place onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Brush tops with remaining melted butter and remaining sugar mixture.

I went ahead and added more cinnamon sugar to ours because my dough was alot bigger so to my european peeps: I bought mine at Aldi and you will get one more stack so use more butter and cinnamon sugar mixture.