Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A country drive..

I'm at my happiest when we leave the city and head towards the country side. It's there that I finally get a sense of peace and space. Living in the netherlands has been a real trial for me when it comes to lack of privacy and open spaces. I am used to being able to walk outside without feeling eyes on me from all sides. Even when living in a neighborhood back home,everyone did their own thing without getting into others business.
  I don't get that same feeling here. From the moment I get up in the morning and barely open my curtains, I am confronted with the city life...and the general dutch mentality of always having this need to look into your life and what you are doing,what new item you may have boughten and wondering how you could aford that.
  So I get excited when it time to take a drive :) I love the country side here. It's so different from what I am used to but I love it just the same.
  These photos were taken as we attempted to find a new fishing spot. Sadly the water is not what we were looking for but the drive there was well worth it!      

12 comments:

lytha said...

again i extend the invitation, as soon as our snow goes away, for you and your family to come here and fish in our pond and we can cook 'em up together as the boys play board games.

(we can play too)

i just have no idea when this snow will leave.

~lytha

Candee said...

Looks so nice there. I know what you mean. I have a cottage still in Canada in the middle of no where on a lake (with good fishing I may add). I miss the serenity, the nature and the animal spottings. Here you don't even see a squirrel. I never thought I wold miss a squirrel or chipmunk.

Sonya said...

Thanks Lytha..maybe this summer!! :O)

Candee I have seen 3 squirrels since moving here..just 3! I really iss the wildlife from back home for sure!

A cottage in canada sounds wonderful!
I hope you are enjoying your time with your mom:)

Marla said...

My Dutch friend always says Oklahoma reminds her of Holland. These pictures really do look like my neck of the woods.

Nancy C said...

It looks like you caught some peace instead of fish. Seems like more than a fair trade.

Unknown Mami said...

I can be a bit of a hermit. I would have a hard time being on "display" all the time.

Breigh said...

Looks like you are starting to see a hint of green too finally :D It's so nice to get out and take some photos, isn't it? :)

Virginia Taylors said...

Beautiful!! If you ever need visitors from Virginia...let me know. Have you tried cinnamon rolls yet?

Sonya said...

No I haven't made cinnamon rolls yet but Im making bagels today:)

Virginia Taylors said...

Bagels! I would love to learn how to make bagels. Good luck friend.

Lee Ann said...

looks lovely, sorry you didn't find your new spot. I am sure I couldn't live in a city either, too busy for me

Katy ~ said...

Oh, dear, I would find nosy neighbors so cloying; I would want to escape to the beautiful countryside as well. The photos give a feeling of expanse and forever. Aaaaah, such peace...