Friday, January 22, 2010

Underrated Meal: Meatloaf

I seriously believe meatloaf gets a bad rap. I love it, always have. I espically love it the next day when you make it into a cold meatloaf sandwich. I've had bad meatloaf before,alot of times actually wich is why I think alot of people have issues with it. I've had it all; Dry meatloaf, squishy meatloaf, and my favorite: what in the hell is in there meatloaf. I still like it though. I've never seen meatloaf in the netherlands; they always make meatballs wich taste like a mini meatloaf to me. I asked my husband one time what springs to mind when you think of american food. He said casseroles and meatloaf..two things you don't find here. He was right..lol
       We love this meatloaf because it's moist and comes with a killer sweet and tangy topping..wich makes the whole thing in my opinion. It holds it's shape while being baked and sliced..(I used to make meatloaf that came out looking like a giant blob). Incase you have extra buttermilk laying around you can swap out the milk in the recipe for buttermilk. I did that lastnight and it came out perfect. You can also put this into the crockpot but I've never done it. I made meatloaf in the crockpot once and it was just so slimy and creepy. I won't ever do it again. I think it you go that route you should use lean beef so it's not slowing cooking in the fat for hours and hours. The original recipe can be found Here. If you have a meatloaf recipe that you love, I would love to try it! either leave the recipe in the comments section or post a link in the comments where I can get it.


Moist Meatloaf
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Milk..or Buttermilk
2/3 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
2 tsp. Dried Minced Onions..can use fresh
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Italian Seasonings
1/2 tsp. Rubbed Sage
1-1/2 to 2lbs. Ground Beef


Topping
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 TBL Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Ground Mustard..I never have that so I use regular mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce.


Pre-heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a large bowl combine the first 8 ingredients; Crumble beef over mixture and mix well (mixture will be moist and thats ok!) Shape into a loaf and place into 13x 9 pan. Combine topping and spread over top. Bake for 1 hour or until no longer pink. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.


The reason I put 1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef is because it can be made either way while still using the same measurments with everything else. I usually use 2 pounds but I have 2 growing boys and a husband who love beef in all forms..lol