Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I hit the homemade chinese food jackpot tonight. I am so over the moon happy with this sweet and sour chicken. It's just like the one I bought from my favorite chinese resturant back home. Everyone seems to have their favorite version of chinese food. The more fluorescent the colors are, the more Im going to love it..and I'm not even one bit ashamed of typing that either. Love, love, love, the goopy mess of it all. After trying several other recipes and failing miserably, I stumbled upon This blog. This site has the neatest collection of recipes, including several chinese ones. I plan to head over there and make as many as I can.

Sweet and sour is all about the sauce for me..not about the veggies that come along with it. I like peppers and pineapple but I don't want it messing with my chicken. So in this recipe I left out the addition of onions,peppers, and pineapple, but I will include those in the recipe incase you want to add those to yours. This makes alot and I'm not even gonna lie..you are going to dirty up several dishes. You can cut the prep time down by cutting the chicken into cubes along with the veggies the morning you plan to make it, or like me, the night before. The most time consuming part is double dipping the chicken..after that it's smooth sailing. I served it with homemade fried rice and we all had huge smiles on our faces as we talked about our day while we ate. I love these times with the boys.

Sweet and Sour Chicken..6-8 servings
6 Boneless skinless breasts; Cut into 1 inch cubes
Flour
4 Egg Yolks
2 TBL Soy Sauce
Oil
3 firm Tomatoes; Cut into 1 inch chunks
2 Onions; Cut into 1 inch chunks
1 Green Pepper; Cut into 1 inch chunks
I can Pineapple pieces; Reserve juice for sauce

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 cup Vinegar
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup Pineapple juice
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 TBL Cornstarch
1/8 cup Juice for Cornstarch

1. Mix egg yolks and soy sauce together with a bit of water in a bowl. In another bowl add the flour. Roll chicken into flour then into egg mixture, and then back into flour again. Deep fry in small batches for 2-3minutes; Drain on paper towels. ** I do not deep fry anything so I put oil in a large skillet and cooked the chicken that way..worked perfectly. Place chicken in large bowl and set aside.


2.Stir fry peppers and onions for about one minute..you want them to be crisp and still retain their color. Remove from pan and pour on top of chicken.

3. Make sweet and sour sauce by mixing vinegar,sugar,salt,orange juice, pineapple, and ketchup. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Mix the 2 tablesppons of cornstarch with either 1/8 cup or orange juice or pineapple juice; Mix together and pour into sauce. Stir until thickened wich only takes a matter of seconds.

4. Add tomatoes and pineapple chunks to the sauce and heat thoroughly. Pour sauce over chicken and veggies and gently stir to coat everything. Serve on top of rice or along side.

If you are a multi tasker like me then you can get the sauce going when the chicken is almost done and that way everything comes together quickly.