Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sundays In My City....


Happy New Year to everyone stopping by from Sunday's In My City! Thanks to Unknown Mami we can travel around the world. I woke up this morning to 4 inches of snow! it's the most we have gotten yet. I took a walk with the boys so here is my neighborhood.

       This is across from our place. It's a spot of green with an area to walk behind. What drives me crazy the most about living here is that every square inch of available greenery is used as a toilet for the local dogs. Now Im all for giving these wonderful creatures a spot to poo in..however CLEAN IT UP! I've never seen so much poo in my life. You can not sit anywhere. There was a time when you would walk down the normal streets and have to dodge dog poo left and right. They have designated spots to let your dog go and you can even leave baggies full of poo for someone else to come and pick it up..sadly in my neighborhood that is ignored.

        This is when we are walking in back of the green area. It has a path that circles around it. My oldest son took me to see his "Fort" wich is a big deal you know! girls and moms espically are not allowed in..but I was able to look at it and he said I could bake them cookies anytime I liked..smarty pants.

    This is the street down from mine. I used to love these houses until I discovered that they are basically one house split in two(every bottom front window you see belongs to another home) and the price is insane. For one of these houses on this street  it will run you about 200,000 euros(a little under 300,000 dollars) and if they made the inside really nice you will pay more. It's basically a 2 or 3 bedroom townhouse and they are very small. You don't see a whole lot of free standing homes and when you do, you pay a pretty penny for it. Thats why in a few years we're jumping the border into Germany. We can get a free standing home with land for a fraction of what we would have to pay here. I love the looks of the homes though and love seeing how they decorate the insides.

     Here is a picture of another house..and this one looks to be free standing but Im not sure. I've never grown up seeing brick homes and thats all you see here. The idea of having a wooden house seems so old fashioned and not pratical to people here. Besides that, the netherlands was made from re-claimed sea and building from brick instead of trees they didnt have like we do makes more sense.

      I hope you enjoyed the walk around my neighborhood. Please head over to see what everyone else is up to and I will see you next sunday!             Unknown Mami