Thursday, January 28, 2010

I like 'Em Big, I like 'Em Chunky


I realise the title to this post could be taken many ways..however with this being a baking blog for the most part, you should probably get your mind out of the gutter and more into the baking mode:) I love big, fat, chunky, chewy cookies.  Infact while making these cookies you need to do it while listening to THIS song...I did:) I can not believe how funny animated movies have become!!

 While in the kitchen I was suddenly blinded by a bright light. Could it be...the sun? oh yes my fine blogging friends, we had sun! This is not something you see a whole lot of during a dutch winter. Infact I had just enough time to snap two photos before it went poof! it was replaced by dark grey skies that followed with both rain and snow..sigh..will spring ever get here?


       Back to baking I went. I like bigger cookies myself. If you like that too then you should try this recipe. You use 1/4 cup worth of dough..and you could go bigger then that if you wanted. The last batch I made really really big ones and they turned out fine. These would be great for a school bake sale or you can enjoy them alone...while watching the darn snow fall and wondering if you will ever see the sun again. 

Big and Chunky Cookies..1-1/2-2 dozen cookies
2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Butter; Melted
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup White Sugar
1 TBL. Vanilla
1 Egg
1 Egg Yolk
2 cups Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 325 or 165 celcius. Grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; Set aside.

In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the melted butter, and both sugars until well blended. Beat in vanilla,egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in flour mixture just until combined. Turn mixer off and mix in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. At this time I popped the dough into the fridge for 25 minutes. You don't have to but I like to use cooled chocolate chip dough..I noticed the cookies don't spread as much.

Take 1/4 cup worth of dough and roll into a ball. Place 3 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes or until the edges are a nice golden brown and toasted. Cool on cookie sheet for one minute; Transfer to wire rack.