Friday, January 15, 2010

Chinese Lemon Chicken


I've made a decision to post one new chinese recipe a week. One of my goals this year is to learn how to make all of our favorite chinese dishes from back home. Since there is no way I will beable to get it over the only logical choice is to hopefully re-create it in my kitchen. I hope to expand into other chinese dishes since in reality I only need to make one more item to complete my list. What I would love to do is make it all at once..however if you saw my kitchen and my teenie weenie counter space you would understand why I haven't yet.

Lemon chicken is another of our favorites. This recipe was a real winner. The lemon sauce is very subtle and isn't goopy. The recipe comes from the same place I found my sweet and sour chicken and the original can be found HERE. I went ahead and used the same coating I did for the sweet and sour chicken and then went ahead and just made the lemon sauce. It has a really nice lemon flavor,not fake tasting at all. The original recipe calls for 3 slices of lemon and I didn't have any. I'm not sure if that down played the flavor of the lemon but at any rate if you don't have it, don't worry about it. Next time I am going to bump the lemon juice up to 3 tablespoons to get a bit more flavor out of it. The sauce coats the chicken perfectly and reminds me of home :)

Lemon Chicken
6 Boneless chicken breasts; cut into 1 inch cubes
Flour
4 Egg Yolks
2 TBL Soy Sauce
Oil

Sauce
1/3 cup Sugar
1 cup Chicken Broth
1-1/2 TBL Cornstarch
2 TBL Lemon Juice
3/4 tsp. Salt..forgot to add in and it was fine without it.
3 Slices of Lemon; Peeled
2 TBL Oil
Yellow Food coloring; Optional

Mix egg yolks and soy sauce with a bit of water in a bowl(I used 1/4 of a cup and added a little more later on to make sure I would beable to coat all the chicken). Roll chicken in flour, then into egg mixture,and back into flour again. Either deep fry in small batches for 2-3 minutes and drain on paper towels or like me use a large skillet with oil and fry the chicken that way. You can also use a wok. Place chicken in large bowl when done.

To make the suace,combine the sugar,broth,cornstarch,lemon juice, and salt; Add in food coloring at this time. Mix until well combined and pour into saucepan(or like me dump it all in the pan to begin with). Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and stir in lemon sauce. Bring it up to a boil and begin whisking it. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook it until it become clear and is thickened. The mixture will start off cloudy but will turn a pretty clear yellow when done. Pour over chicken and gently mix until all chicken is coated. Serve along side fried or white rice.

On a side note I noticed any left over chicken almost lost all of it's lemony taste the next day. The same happend with the sweet and sour chicken. I suspect it's because the sauce is not goopy thick like they serve it in the resturants. If you want the full effect it's best eaten the night you make it...however none of us complained when we ate the left overs:)