Friday, January 8, 2010

Cheddar Ham Soup



It's annoyingly hard to photogrpahy soup sometimes. When my husband made my light box we bought the wrong lights for it. I need a certain color for it and most pictures come out fine but others do not. Like soup! Oh well. I opened the curtains up all the way and snapped away. Someday I will tell you why I don't open up my back curtains anymore.


Soup is such a cheap and easy meal to make. I like to make it atleast once a week. It makes a great main meal with cheesy garlic bread and makes perfect lunches the next day for the kiddos..or even yourself! The boys come home for lunch here and that took some getting used to. I am used to them staying at school all day. They come home from 11:45-12:30. If you can't be home for your kids then you pay extra for them to walk over to eat lunch at a play ground thats right by the school and then can walk into a small building and eat there.  There are no cafeteria in the schools. A few schools might have them but in general you won't find it. So when the boys come home I like to serve them something warm on those cold winter days. 


This is soup is thick and has a nice cheddar flavor to it. It's a really harmless soup..in the sense that there are no bold flavors to worry about,no extra spice and goes down well with kids. I think next time I am going to cut down on the peas. I've finally come to the conclusion that peas over take all the rest of the flavors and I don't like that. I have pea issues..tee hee Im going to add in some garlic,mushrooms and a few more seasonings since I think it lacked that. I don't like spicy soup but this could use some seasoning salt for sure.


Cheddar Ham Soup..7 servings
2 cups diced peeled Potatoes
2 cups Water
1/2 cup Sliced Carrot
1/2 cup Chopped Onion
1/4 cup Butter, Cubed
1/4 cup Flour
2 cups Milk
1/4-1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1-1/2 cups Cubed fully cooked Ham
1 cup Frozen Peas; Thawed


In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes,water,carrots, and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.


Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk,salt,and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potato mixture and add the ham and peas; Heat through.