Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes


I was supposed to have 3 recipes to share with you. I made a point to make one chinese recipe a week and then I wanted to share a fast ice cream recipe and a chicken recipe. However while making my fast ice cream recipe my blender broke..I so want a food processor. Then I read the chicken recipe wrong and it came out sickingly sweet and THEN the chinese recipe looked nothing like the photo and tasted horrible. Well..it tasted horrible to me and although my husband and two sons loved, it I didn't feel right blogging about a recipe I couldn't stand.

So onto these pancakes. The first thing you'll notice is that there are no bananas in the photo..funny thing about bananas and how if you freeze them and take them out again..they turn really brown. So I left those out. However I will totally add them next time because this recipe is worth making over and over again. The batter smelled like lemon cupcakes :) They are fluffy and you feel like you are eating something naughty for breakfast. If you don't have bananas please make them anyway..they are so worth it and a treat from the everyday pancake mix. Thanks Obviously Omnivore for the recipe. The original comes from Ina Garten.

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes..makes 12
1-1/2 cups Flour
3 TBL Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1-1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt..I used regular and only 1 tsp.
1/2 cup Sour Cream..or Creme Fraiche
3/4 cup plus 1 TBL Milk
2 Extra Large Eggs..I used regular
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Grated Lemon Zest
2 Ripe Bananas; Diced,plus more for serving.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour,sugar,baking powder, and salt. Whisk together the sour cream, milk,eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix only until well combined..lumps are ok. 

Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle 1/4 cup of batter into pan and sprinkle rounded tablespoon on bananas onto each pancake. Cook 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear and the bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add more butter for each batch. Serve with additional sliced bananas and maple syrup.