Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tuna Cheese Melts


When my husband and I sat down to do this weeks budget, I thought it was a joke when I saw the figure. I mean I can pinch pennies with the best of them but this honestly required me to squeeze that penny dry like never before. Now back home this was never a problem. However living over here has been a bigger challenge. I can not stock up on anything. There is no family sized this or that or those big unattractive roasts that turn into something beautiful once you put them into the crockpot. I have yet to cook one roast since living here. It isn't because they aren't there but when I do see them my punching arm goes into overload when I see the price tag and the small roast that comes along with it. I realise of course that you don't always need a large roast but being an american mom, I have come to rely on leftovers and everything you can do with them. We decided to buckle down this month to pay off some big bills so that we could look forward to christmas and a better start to the New Year. So in comes this recipe!

I think melts sometimes get a bad wrap. We actually love melts no matter what our financial situation is. Alot of people link sandwiches with being dirt poor and that just isn't the case. I'm also not the kind of mom who feels the need to put a 4 course meal in front of us everynight either. So no matter what your budget looks like,this is a sandwich that fits the bill. You can serve this along side of a soup or like us with potato wedges and fruit.

Tuna Cheese Melt 4 sandwiches
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
8 Slices Rye or choice of bread
1 can(6 ounces) Tuna; Drained and flaked
2 TBL Mayonaise
4 Slices American Cheese or Cheese of choice
4 TBL Butter; Divided

Combine the Sour Cream and Garlic salt in small bowl; Spread on one side of each slice of bread. In another small bowl, combine the tuna and mayo and spread on 4 slices of bread. Top with cheese and remaining bread; Press down lightly.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add two sandwiches and toast until bread is lightly browned and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.