Monday, December 21, 2009

Homemade Hot Chocolate


When I woke up this morning there was a fresh blanket of snow! I need to stop talking about it..but I just can't. I almost never see snow in december and if I do it doesn't usually stick. It's so fabulous. My oldest son left this morning for a basketball tournament. I smiled to myself as he left because he has come along way since we moved here. There is a difference between dutch kids and american kids. I've had to loosen up a bit on some things and tighten on others. It's a fine balance I need to keep both for myself and for them. I wanted to make him something special today no matter if he won or not. He loves hot chocolate and there is nothing better than the homemade kind. He didn't win the tournament but he said he had fun anyway and will do it again next year. I told him I'll have the hot cocoa waiting:)

Mint Hot Chocolate..1 serving
3/4 cup Milk
2 TBL Sugar
1 TBL Dutch Cocoa..regular is fine too
2 TBL Heavy Cream or Milk..cream gives it a more smooth taste
1 small drop Peppermint Extract; Optional

Add 3/4 cup milk to a saucepan and slowly heat it up stirring once and awhile. Meanwhile in a mug combine the sugar, cocoa,cream and extract; Stir until just combined. Once milk has become nice and warm, pour into mug and stir until combined. Place whipped cream on top with chocolate sprinkles:)