Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ginger Chicken


Can you believe I just now did my christmas shopping? My husband and I got up early and headed out. We left at 8:30am and got home just before noon:) I'm so happy to be done. In a perfect world I would of gotten done weeks ago but thats not how christmas bonuses work sometimes. Everything is wrapped and ready to be put under the tree!! 

Yesterday I got the newest Taste of Home magazine. The moment I spotted this ginger chicken recipe I knew I had to make it. Chinese food is one of our favorite meals to have and not being able to visit our favorite resturant is so painful..lol One of my goals this year is to learn how to make everything that we loved from our resturant. I've got high hopes for 2010!

This dish is really easy to make and tastes great! I think alot more could be added to it..maybe a package of stir fry veggies and more peppers. I also added in mushrooms and really liked it. The sauce is the real winner in this dish. The soy sauce and rice vinegar go great together and everything just mingles so well:) There was no leftovers to speak of. It truly feeds a family of 4 and if you wanted to stretch it, I would suggest adding stir fry veggies.

Ginger Chicken..Serves 4
1 Egg White; Beaten
1 TBL Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Cornstarch
1/8 tsp. White Pepper
1lb Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces(I used 1-1/2 lbs)

Sauce
1/2 tsp. Cornstarch
2 TBL Rice Vinegar
2 TBL Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sugar


Stir Fry
1 TBL plus tsp. Peanut Oil; Divided..I used regular
1 medium Green Pepper; Julienned
1/2cup Sliced Mushrooms
3 Green Onions,cut into 1 inch length; optional
1/2 cup canned Bamboo Shoots; Finely Chopped
2-3 tsp. fresh Gingerroot; Minced
1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
Hot Cooked Rice


In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the egg white, soy sauce, cornstarch and pepper. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl and set aside.

Place 1 tablespoon of the oil in a larger skillet or wok. Drain marinated chicken and add to pan. Cook until no longer pink. Add in stir fry ingredients and cook until crisp-tender. Stir sauce mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle with almonds and serve over rice.