Friday, December 11, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies


I am not to happy with this photo..but I'm tired. My husband is upstairs asleep and thats where my lightbox is. I tried putting a snazzy frame around it but it still doesn't help. My husband works all shifts and this week he worked graveyard. I no longer sleep well when he is away. I think it's because I still don't feel 100% comfortable with living here. When we moved into our new place I was so nervous. The whole phone number thing is different. It's no longer 9-1-1 but 1-1-2..how am I supposed to remember that in a stress induced situation? Can you imagine being robbed and having to politely ask the person to please threaten your life in english because you are not understanding anything they say? I had post it notes all over the house with all the phone numbers for the longest time. I laugh about it now but wow it's enough to keep you awake some nights. What does this have to do about these cookies? nothing really, but it explains why I'm tired:o)

This isn't a new recipe..infact if you purchase a bag of the Reece's peanut butter chips and flip it over, you too will see this recipe. However I tend to not look at those recipes most of the time and I think it's a mistake. This is the best recipe to use with peanut butter chips. It's almost like a brownie...chewy chocolate peanut butter goodness in every bite. I made these using dutch cocoa instead of Hershey's. I don't even think I can get hershey's over here and even if I could, I wouldn't go near it. Once you have tried dutch cocoa you won't want anything else. However the dutch cocoa calls for recipes using baking powder. I went ahead and added in 1/2 tsp of the powder along with the soda to make sure everything came out ok...and it did. I hope you will pick up a bag of the peanut butter chips and give these a try. They are best served warm with a tall glass of ice cold milk.

Reece's Chewy Chocolate Cookies..4-5 dozen
2 cups Flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Chocolate..if using dutch add in 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Bakins Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/4 cup(2-1/2 sticks) Butter; Softened
2 cups Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1-2/3 cup(10ozpkg) Peanut Butter Chips

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line cookie with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl combine the flour,cocoa,baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl on medium speed beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; Beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Atir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-9 mins. Do not over bake! The cookie will look soft. They puff up during baking and then flatten while cooling. Cool slightly before removing them to wire rack.