Monday, December 7, 2009

Breakfast Puffs


I've been reading my new cookbooks and magazines nonstop since receiving them. It's been really cold and miserable out so snuggling up on the couch with the christmas tree lights on is the best place to be right now.

Yesterday morning I made these wonderful little mini puffs/muffins. I've seen the recipe on other blogs but forgot about it until I saw it again in Taste of Homes Best Holiday Recipes magazine. They are first baked and then dipped in melted butter and rolled into a cinnamon sugar mixture. You can go all out and dip the whole thing or like me I just dipped the top and then rolled the whole thing in the mixture. They remind me of doughnut holes a bit..I remember that Bisquick had a recipe to make baked doughnut holes and I thought these were alot like that. Im going to try dipping some of them into powdered sugar next time! These are best served with coffee or hot chocolate!

Breakfast Puffs..24 mini or 12 large
5 TBS Butter; Softened
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
1 Egg
1-1/2 cups Flour
2-1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
Melted Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1tsp. Cinnamon

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease miniature muffin tin or regular sized tin; Set aside.

In a small bowl combine the flour,baking powder,salt, and nutmeg; Whisk and set aside.

In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk milk and egg; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Pour flour mixture into creamed mixture and beat until just combined. Fill muffin tins two-thirds full and bake for 14-16 minutes or util toothpick inserted comes out clean. If using a larger tin you will need to bake just a little longer. Cool for a few minutes; make sure they are still warm when you start dipping them.

Combine the 1/2 cup sugar and one teaspoon cinnamon. Dip puffs first into the melted butter and then straight into the sugar mixture. Serve warm!