Saturday, December 5, 2009

Beer Bread


Tonight I was able to use one of my new silicone loaf pans and I'm totally in love! It's really sturdy and not floppy like the older ones are. I can pour the batter in there and the bottom base has a nice sturdy part to it that allows me to pop it into the oven without having to use a cookie sheet. It's so nice having a proper sized loaf pan. The ones over here are over 10 inches long.

So lets get to this lovely quick bread! I spotted this over at Gimme Some Oven. I've never made nor eaten a beer bread before and wow is it totally different tasting than any other quick bread. I'm not a beer drinker at all so this took a bit of getting used to..however after a few bites I really loved it. It was crispy on the outside and super moist and tender on the inside. It's the perfect bread to serve with a soup. Infact if you are looking for one to serve with it then please make it with THIS one. I did and we loved it. The bread and the soup are both economical and with the 4 of us there was enough to have leftovers from both. I forgot to add in shredded cheese to the batter and it was great without it but next time I want to add some. Also I had a few issues with the slight bitter after taste and my husband said next time we'll buy a sweeter beer wich might cut back on that. So keep that in mind..possibly a darker beer would work better. On a side note, my two sons were at the table in record time. When I told them they could have the bread too their eyes lite up. They thought it was the coolest thing ever to be eating beer.

Beer Bread..1 loaf
3 cups Flour
2 TBS. Sugar
1 TBS. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 TBS. Honey
1 bottle (12ounce) Beer
4 TBS Butter; Melted..can be doubled if you like.

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the beer and honey into dry ingredients..(you can pop the honey into the microwave for a few seconds to make it easier to measure and mix) Stir just until mixed.

Pour half of the melted butter into bottom of loaf pan. Then spoon batter into pan and then top with remaining butter. Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown on top and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Mine only took 42 minutes but I think silicone pans cook slightly quicker. You can also add 1-2 cups of shredded cheese to the batter.