Friday, December 18, 2009

Beef Stroganoff


There is a million things I need to get done today. Tomorrow is my husband's 35th birthday. Now normally I don't mind birthdays..that was until I moved here. I will have to do a post on a dutch birthday..wich I might after tomorrow. It's just not fun. Everyone I chat with here who isn't dutch also shares my view. So today is supposed to be filled with a large amount of cleaning because a cluttered/dirty dutch home is probably one of the worst things you can have...and they will check and talk about you. They claim they don't do this but everyone knows it happens. I don't have a dirty home but I also don't obsess over dusting every moment of the day either. If you come to my house without calling first then you are going to find that we actually live in our home and don't make it presentable 24-7. So before I get going I wanted to post this recipe. 

Why is it that certain foods just do not photograph well? or maybe Im just not good at taking photos...could be both I guess. I've noticed that casseroles and any type of gravy topping doesn't look good either. This tastes great though and best of all you can make it without using a boxed mix and have it ready on the table within 30minutes. While the boys were at school eating their christmas dinner, my husband and I were enjoying a quiet meal with just the two of us..wich never happens! I got this recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. If you don't have this one you really need to get it! I love it and haven't been let down yet when using a recipe from it. The original recipe calls for 1 pound of boneless beef sirloin steak. I don't know about you, but I never have that laying around. So instead I use 1 pound of ground beef and it's just as tasty.

Beef Stroganoff..Serves 4
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 8ounce(1cup) container of Sour Cream
2 TB Flour
1/2 cup Water
2 tsp. Instant Beef Bouillon Granules
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 TBL Butter or Margarine; Optional
1-1/2 cups Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
1/2 cup Onion; Chopped
1 Garlic Clove; Minced
Hot cooked Noodles or Rice

The butter in this recipe was to be used to brown the steak with and I left it out. In a bowl combine the sour cream and flour. Stir in water, bouillon, and pepper; Set Aside.

In a large skillet brown the beef,mushrooms and onions; Cook until done and drain any remaining fat. Stir sour cream mixture into the beef mixture and cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve over egg noodles or rice.