Friday, November 6, 2009

Potato Soup For The Soul


I'm really enjoying Fall this time around. Sometimes it's hard to stay positive when the sun has gone and is replaced with a grey sky that threatens rain at any moment. It's harder living away from home around this time. There are several important holidays coming up and I can't tell you how much I would love to hear a knock on my door with my family on the other side with big smiles on their faces and goodies in their hands from back home. We could all laugh about my super tiny kitchen as we all try to fit in there to cook. I love thinking about those things...

Since I don't work I have alot more time to try new things and one of those being soups. Seriously they are crazy easy and I never paid attention to that before. It was so cold lastnight that I knew a steamy bowl of potato soup would be loved by all..and I was right! This is a hearty thick soup with a great flavor. The photo shows it looking thinner but I wanted it that way for the photo. I wanted to show off everything in there. You can play around with the ingredients aswell. If you don't want carrots,add in some sauteed mushrooms,celery or a little of each. I served these with crusty rolls that I split in half and layered cheese on. I popped them into the oven until the cheese melted. So good.

Potato Soup..serves 4 generously with leftovers
6 Bacon Strips, Diced
3 cups Cubed Peeled Potatoes
1 can (14 1/2ounce) chicken Broth
1 small Carrot; Chopped Finely
1/2 cup Chopped Onion
1 TBL Dried Parsley Flakes
1/2 tsp Each Celery Seed,Salt and Pepper..or your seasoning choice
3 TBL Flour
3 cups Milk
1 cup Shredded Cheese..could use Velveeta aswell

In a pan cook the bacon until crisp. I reserved some of the bacon fat and sauteed the onions until translucent.

In a large cooking pot add potatoes,broth,bacon,onion,carrots,parsley and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are tender; 15 minutes or so.

Combine flour and milk until smooth; Add to soup. Bring to a boil; Boil for 2 minutes. Add in cheese, stir until melted and heated through.