Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pecan Pie Cookies


One more day until Thanksgiving!! I managed to do my shopping yesterday. I looked high and low for sweet potatoes but couldn't find a one. I know in other parts of the netherlands they sell them but for whatever reason it hasn't come this way yet. I prefer pecan pie over pumpkin for the most part. I find it to sweet after awhile but I can't resist a slice or two..or 3:) However over here they do not sell Karo syrup and I have yet to perfect my homemade version of it. So instead I bring you pecan pie cookies!

Well I bring it to you courtesy of Land O' Lakes. These cookies are soooooo good and they seriously taste like a real pecan pie. The pecan filling is so chewy,sweet, and a really nice alternative to the pie itself. I'd like to offer a few sugestions though. My first batch really spread, like pancake spread. I then made the balls smaller so instead of the 3 dozen amount it states, I got 4 dozen. It's not easy to get a teaspoons worth of filling into the cookie but I made sure to build the sides of the cookie up and put it all in there. It's very much like a thumbprint cookie so if you have made those before you won't have any problems with these. These would also make a nice addition to a christmas cookie plate.

Pecan Pie Cookie..3-4 dozen
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Butter; Softened
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Egg
1 tsp. Baking Powder

Filling:
1 cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Whipping Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla

Heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. It's important you put something under the cookies because the filling can spill over and then you have to deal with burnt parts stuck on the pan.

Combine filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, butter,vanilla, and egg; Beat on medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; Add flour and baking powder. Beat until combined.

Shape dough into 1-1/4 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Make indentation in each cookie with thumb; rotate thumb to hollow out slightly. Fill each cookie with 1 teaspoons worth of filling. Bake 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing cookies to wire rack.

These can be made and frozen up to 3 months in advance. Place cookies in containers with tight fitting lids,seperating layers with waxed paper.