Monday, November 16, 2009

Oatmeal Apple Cookies


It's a start of another new week! The weeks seem to be going by so fast for me now. I'm not complaining about it. The closer we get to christmas, the closer I am to buying a tree and decorating it. One thing I miss though are the trees from home. I went to buy one that we maybe paid 20 dollars for and the man told me those were 100 euros. I actually thought he was joking. The trees here although tall, are very flimsy. I am unable to put all my ornaments on any tree we buy and thats a bit of a bummer!

On to these cookies!!! This is another recipe straight out of my Taste of Home's giant cookie and bars magazine. I was drawn to the recipe because of the addition of apple and not raisin. I didn't have any of those to begin with and the idea of using something other than raisins was exciting. I must sya though that the original recipe called for dried apples but I swapped out equal amounts of fresh apples instead. If you go that route make sure you dice your apples small enough so that they can bake during the cooking process. These are delightfully chewy and although I actually missed the raisins, the apples filled in just fine!

Oatmeal Apple Cookie..4 dozen
1 cup Butter; Softened
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar..I used dark and it worked out fine.
1/2 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 cups Flour
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
3 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup chopped dried or fresh apples

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt; Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture into creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in oats and apples. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.