Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jalapeno Poppers


I sometimes think it's funny how as kids we seriously hate a certain food and then years and years later we find ourselves not only eating it but also loving it. I couldn't stand peppers and onions growing up. My mom always thought she was being all sly when she wouldn't mention that they were in the dish but it was something I could detect no matter how small she chopped them. I still have a love hate thing with onions but Im totally loving the pepper and all the forms it comes in.

I seriously think the U.S. is like the junk food capitol of the world. My husband was amazed at how much junk food there was to be had..espically at convienant stores. You could get some gas and stock up on slurpies and jalapeno poppers. Living over here they don't have that stuff and I suppose if you look at the larger picture it might be better but who cares about the larger pictures. We love poppers!

Since a friend from the netherlands sent me some jalapenos through the mail it was only right that I whip up a homemade version of it! I am not a fan of deep frying because of the smell it leaves in your house so I opted for a baked popper instead. These were so good! A great trip down memory lane. I do have a few tips though and one being you need to really season the bread crumbs or make a point to only buy seasoned. Also if you bake them I highly suggest drizzling some butter over the top to give the crumbs a nice cripsy texture. That was the only thing missing. The topping was crunchy but a little dry. Thats it though. These are so good! My recipe below is only a guide and depending on how many poppers you want to make determines what amounts you want to use. I only made a total of 12 poppers and they were fairly small so I only needed half a pack of cream cheese.

Jalapeno Poppers
Cream Cheese; Softened
Shredded Cheese: Cheddar,Mozzarella, or Flavored
Bacon;Cooked and crumbled
Seasonings of choice
Flour; enough to dust the poppers with
Breadcrumbs:enough to roll poppers in
Milk; enough to dip the peppers into

Split jalapenos and take out the membrane and all the seeds..thats where the heat is so take those out if you dont want a nasty surprise. Please be careful to not touch your face with your hands..better yet wear gloves!

Place peppers into boiling salted water and parboil for about 3 minutes: Drain and pat dry.

Place cream cheese,shredded cheese,seasonings, and bacon into bowl; mix it all together. Stuff poppers full with cream cheese mixture and slightly pack it all in there together. Roll into flour making sure to coat all sides and place onto a dish. Repeat with all peppers. Refrigerate for atleast 15 minutes. You want the cream cheese mixture to firm up before baking them.

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Dip poppers back into milk and then into breadcrumbs. Pat the crumbs firmly onto the popper to make sure it sticks on there. Repeat with all poppers and place onto cookie sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through. You can eat them as is or dip them into ranch but I suppose thats seriously over doing it.