Monday, November 2, 2009

Applesauce Cupcakes


Wow I can't believe that we are into the first part of november already! I have a mile long list of things I need to get done this month in order to be ready for next month. I love it though. I love this time of year and always look forward to christmas. I try to get everything done this month so I can chill out and just bake and get ready for christmas without to much stress...of course I say that now but next month I will post something about being stressed out!

These cupcakes are a nice fall treat. Infact when my husband took a bite he said the cupcake tasted like fall. If you are a fan of applesauce then these might be something for you to try. It has a strong applesauce taste and it took me a few before I really warmed up to them. Infact I ate one more before posting this and decided I liked it even better the next day. The flavor mellowed a bit and I really liked it. These are harmless tasteing cupcakes. The flavor is mellow,the frosting has a nice caramel flavor and it all works well together. I had to much leftover frosting though. I could of easily frosted another 6..maybe I have lost my willingness to pile the stuff on there!

Applesauce Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting..18 cupcakes
1-3/4 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Butter;Softened
1 Egg
1-1/2 cups Applesauce

Frosting
1/2 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Half and Half or heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup Butter
2-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line 18 cupcake tins with cupcake liners and set aside. Combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in medium bowl; set aside.

Combine sugar and 1/2 cup butter in large bowl. Beat on medium speed until creamy. Add egg; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add in flour mixture and appleasauce. Continue beating until well mixed. Fill 18 cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: Combine brown sugar, half and half and 1/4 cup butter in 2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil..stirring often. Cool 20 minutes; add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy. You can either let it cool all the way or frost then. Mine was slightly warm but I had no problems frosting the cupcakes. The frosting sets almost right away so make sure you frost all the cupcakes at once. If it becomes to stuff add more cream to thin it out a bit.