Thursday, November 5, 2009

Apple Strudel Muffins


It's 1 pm and it's dark outside..I mean really dark..like turn your lights on dark. It's also raining. So that means it's a perfect day to craft and bake! Im super behind in my crafting projects. Im swapping a semi handmade advent calendar with a friend in germany and I need to make and buy 25 items to open up for everyday in december. My family and I are heading to germany at the end of the month to meet up with her and her family and we will swap our advent goodies. It's the first time we meet in person and I'm super excited. We're also going to hit a christmas market together and Im excited about that too....nothing says christmas like a german christmas market. So anyway the days are ticking down and Im behind. I have my youngest home sick this week and let me tell you I am super lucky with my kids. They don't nag me for this and that. They lay on the couch with a blanket,water and the tv remote. I'm blessed I tell you.

I'm so blessed that I wanted to make the men in my life some muffins! Muffins are great. They are the pick up and go food. My youngest says they are the perfect sick kid food because if you don't want to eat alot then a muffin is good. It doesnt make my stomach hurt and eating one more couldn't hurt either,right mom? nice one kid.

These muffins are moist,the topping is soooo good. Although mine doesnt look nice in the photo. I didn't crumble up my butter enough because I was in a hurry..so it spread..next time Im doubling the topping and making sure I crumble it correctly:)

Apple Strudel Muffins..15 or so
2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Butter; Melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs;Beaten
1-1/4 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
2 cups Apples;peeled,diced,OR shredded..I did half shredded and half diced

Topping
1/3 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 TBL Flour
1/8 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 TBL Butter

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease 15 muffin cup tins and set aside. In a bowl combine the flour,baking powder,baking soda,salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg;stir to combine and set aside.

In a large bowl combine the eggs,butter, both sugars, and vanilla; stir or whisk until combined. Add in apples and gradullay stir in flour; stir until combined. Spoon batter into muffin tins.

Combine topping and mix until it looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in tin and remove to wire rack to cool completly.