Friday, November 13, 2009

Apple Crisp with Vanilla Sauce


It's that time of year again for apple crisps!! Oh how I love apple crisps. I love how it fills the house with the most comforting smell ever. I almost wish for snow to fall when I bake one because that would just be the cherry on top of an already delightful cake.

Im always up for trying a new type of crisp. For me, it's all about the crunchy topping. As a kid I would eat only that and try and get rid of the apples. It took me a long time to like baked apples in any form. I still cant really eat an apple pie and I really dislike cold cooked apples. I stumbled upon this recipe and what caught my eye was the vanilla sauce that you poured on top of the apples. I hand't seen that before and really wanted to try that. I'm glad I did because it was really good. It almost went on the verge of being to sweet and ice cream would actually be something to kind of break that up a bit. The vanilla sauce was good but I don't know if it needed to be added like that. I kind of like the idea of tweaking with the recipe a bit and adding the sauce on top when you serve it. Im going to check into different types of vanilla sauces and trying it like that..or maybe caramel..ooohh that would be good too.

On a side note I mentioned that my two sons were sick for the past few weeks. I had one home with the swine flu and when he went back, my youngest was out for a week. Yesterday my youngest came home and told me he felt kinda funny. He said he was ok to go back to school and when he came home he had a really high fever and a dry cough. He mentioned that 5 of his classmates have been ill all week and still attending school. I don't understand that...espically in a country where staying home with your sick child is encouraged and there is no fear of loseing your job. Im hoping he gets better this weekend.

Apple Crisp with Vanilla Sauce..8 servings
1 cup Flour
1 cup Brown Sugar..do not pack it
1 cup Rolled Oats
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/2 cup Butter; Softened 5 cups Chopped Apples
Sauce:
1 cup White Sugar
2 TBL Cornstarch
1 cup Water
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Lightly grease a 9 inch baking dish and set aside.

In a bowl combine the flour,brown sugar,oats, and spicesl Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into the baking dish. Cover with apples.

In a saucepan combine the sugar,cornstarch,water, and vanilla. Bring to a boil stirring constanly and then lower the heat. Cook until clear and thick. Pour over apples and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender. It's important to watch it if you chop up your apples like I did. The original recipe said one hour but with chopped apples it goes much quicker. Check after 30 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.